Axle bracket bending

Swapped out the rear spring packs today. Passenger side bracket(not sure what it's called, but the shock is bolted to it) was VERY overtorqued in a past life. It was bent up around the leafs & the old u-bolts were badly bent....to the point I can't believe they didn't fail. I quickly set out in search of a replacement. I checked with all the other MJ owners in my area(that would be 2) & both trucks had the same condition.

I assume this was a case of using too thin material from the factory? Are they all bent like this?

And while we're on the subject, what do y'all torque the u-bolts down to?

Swapped out the rear spring packs today. Passenger side bracket(not sure what it's called, but the shock is bolted to it) was VERY overtorqued in a past life. It was bent up around the leafs & the old u-bolts were badly bent....to the point I can't believe they didn't fail. I quickly set out in search of a replacement. I checked with all the other MJ owners in my area(that would be 2) & both trucks had the same condition.

I assume this was a case of using too thin material from the factory? Are they all bent like this?

And while we're on the subject, what do y'all torque the u-bolts down to?

No, they are not all bent like this. Some pics would help. Also, is it a LB or SB? Different shock mounts.

Some pics would help. Also, is it a LB or SB? Different shock mounts.

No pics(no digital camera)

I'm just gonna tighten the new u-bolts down & keep a close eye on'em for a while. Should be fine. Probably won't even use a torque wrench, since it won't be accurate against the warped surface.

BTW, 40# don't seem like much. I figured at least 90.

Some pics would help. Also, is it a LB or SB? Different shock mounts.

No pics(no digital camera)

I'm just gonna tighten the new u-bolts down & keep a close eye on'em for a while. Should be fine. Probably won't even use a torque wrench, since it won't be accurate against the warped surface.

BTW, 40# don't seem like much. I figured at least 90.

Yes, 90 ft/lbs is the spec for an MJ.

Well I tried to torque the u-bolts down today. Not good. I got to 45 ft lbs with no problem. Went for 55 & the bolts started bending to the warped mounts, which I expected, but I started to get that "slipping, about to shear off" feeling through the wrench(if you've done much wrenching you know what I'm talking about).

I stopped & I guess I'll just watch it very close for a while. If nothing else I can straighten the mounts in my press, then get some heavy stock, weld it on & drill the holes through. Probably should have done this in the first place :headpop:

Oh yeah. They're in there. Once everything started bending, it doesn't take much to continue to bend since the structural integrity is comprimised.

Anybody got a good straight set laying around they wouldn't miss, like after doing a springover?