OK, I've done my due diligence by google & scrolling through the diy write up section to no avail. 

I remember seeing a thread with a full list of ecm p/n by year for xj/MJ with respect to 4.0 / 2.5 , manual/auto, California emissions / Europe  , and police option. I think the police model was the topic of the thread.

Anyway, I digress; My question is will a ecm from a 95 xj man non-ca emission interchange for my 92 MJ man ca emission ecm? Both are 4.0 

7 hours ago, JeepSchmidt O'Guinness said:

OK, I've done my due diligence by google & scrolling through the diy write up section to no avail. 

I remember seeing a thread with a full list of ecm p/n by year for xj/MJ with respect to 4.0 / 2.5 , manual/auto, California emissions / Europe  , and police option. I think the police model was the topic of the thread.

Anyway, I digress; My question is will a ecm from a 95 xj man non-ca emission interchange for my 92 MJ man ca emission ecm? Both are 4.0 

I'll start by saying I'm not 100% sure here but I'm thinking it should work only if you are putting the non-CA ECU in a CA truck.

Same drivetrain and both HO so I see no reason it wouldn't.  From what I know of CA trucks it's just more O2 sensors and cats so I see no reason for the ECU to not just ignore the extra sensors, or you could just unplug them entirely and it won't see them.  If it does have issues with the multiple cats, replace the exhaust with a single cat.

Now if you live in CA and need to have inspection, then you will need a proper CA ECU and exhaust or they will prolly throw a fit at an inspection.

Again I'm not 100% sure so we'll see what others have to say.