1989 Comanche 4.0 2wd to 4wd Conversion

Did it come with an engine? The engine will determine what transmissions you can use. Also -- do you want it to be standard, or automatic? What is it now -- is there a clutch peddle? Is there a shift lever on the steering column?

How can it have a shift lever if there's no transmission? The shift lever for any of the manual transmissions used with the 4.0L engine goes directly into the transmission.

Do you have the bellhousing? Is there a clutch and flywheel attached to the engine?

I have resisted responding because I don't have any XJs or MJs with the AX-15 transmission and the external slave, so I'm not positive. But ... since nobody else has posted, I'll go out on a limb and say that the bellhousing appears to be set up for an external slave cylinder, so you're probably looking for an AX-15 transmission from a 1994 or newer XJ.

However, I believe there was a change in the pilot bearing somewhere along the line, so you may need to take some measurements to determine what pilot bearing you need.

I think Pete is correct. Which means it's an early '89.

Better to look for a complete bellhousing/transmission/transfer case from a '94 or newer Cherokee. That will get you the AX-15 transmission and the externa slave cylinder.

I just finished an AX-15 swap in my truck. Its really not that bad of an endeavor. Do a google search for "site:comancheclub.com ax-15 swap" and read all the articles. Different ones cover different issues. There is a specific pilot bushing to use, make sure to get the transmission mount plate from the bottom of your donor AX-15, the crossmember from the donor, and in my opinion get THIS shift linkage for the transfer case. Those are all of the major pieces to think about. I can tell you that the AX-15 shifts WAY better than my BA10-5 ever did. Especially after the BA10-5 exploded and left me stranded on the side of the road.