New Speedo Gear Not Working

did you rotate the whats-it to the right orientation before tightening the bolt down?  not sure what to call it, but it holds the gear shaft and has various tooth counts on it and rotates to keep the teeth engaged.  

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

did you rotate the whats-it to the right orientation before tightening the bolt down?  not sure what to call it, but it holds the gear shaft and has various tooth counts on it and rotates to keep the teeth engaged.  

Not sure I follow Pete.............the plastic housing that holds the gear? I pressed the gear all the way in and spun it to feel if it had tension on the cable going to the speedo. It felt like it did but maybe not............I need to have someone look at the speedo while I spin the gear since it's mechanical..........duh, just thought of that. 

I can't seem to find a pic of what I mean (and I don't have an older t-case here to check), but if you look at the various gears, they are different diameters.  the assembly rotates in an oblong circle to push the gear shaft closer or further from the drivetrain so as to give proper contact.  it sounds like yours is just a bit too far from engagement. 

154_1207_06_speed_how_to+speedo_gears.jpg

Eagle, I see the numbers but I took out a 33 and am replacing with a 32. It looks like the tooth range is 32-38 so the assumption is it should be fine. That said, I'll have to confirm tomorrow in daylight what setting it is on now but speedo was working with the original(?) 33 tooth. 

Fixed. I think I made sure the gear housing was in the right position and still had no speedo. Left the gear housing bolted in place and removed the speedo cable to make sure it was fully extended and then made sure the cable went in the end of the speedo gear. Problem solved, so I think the gear was pushing the cable in and not connecting. 

I plan to go to 3.73 gears in the future and that calls for a 33 tooth speedo which is what I took out, so I'm already set for that!