Cruise control

What parts are necessary to add cruise control to my MJ?

Obviously there is the column switch with all the buttons. There is the yellow(I think) controller box. There is the servo. What about the vacuum canister? Mine is a round one on the inside of my pass front fender. My truck is 1988 4.0 with auto.

Do I need any more things? I'm going shopping at the JY this weekend.

Thanks,

Ron

I have 2 of those yellow boxes sitting here. One is missing a lid, but I'll send you both for $10 plus shipping. Both appear to be in great shape, pulled from a few JY XJ's.

I might have a spare cruise cannister with the cable deal sitting around too. I'll see if I can find it.

I bought the cruise stuff with a gauge cluster so I would have every connection the same. It cost $80. I wanted the full gauges anyways. Now I have decided to swap in a tilt column at the same time.

100_5131-1.jpg

I posted this pic of the parts I got and JeepcoMJ replied “for that cruise control you will need the lower cable as well...the one currently in it isn't gonna work”

I’m not sure what that means yet as I haven’t done the swap yet. I am working on getting the truck to pass emissions before I do any more work on it. Plus I can’t find a tilt colum from an ’89 xj.tipshades.gif

You need the 2 piece speedo cable versus the non-cruise one piece one. The 2 pc one has a short cable out of the back of the cluster and the end of it has a transducer that the cruise wiring plugs into. It then connects to the longer second cable that attaches to the transfer case/speedo gear.

Look at a cruise equipped XJ/MJ in the junkyard, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Jeff

edit: looking in your pic, you do have the short cable piece...it's inside the ziplock bag. Plug that into your cluster, plug the cruise wiring into the connector on the bottom end of it, and attach it to your existing speedo cable. It might be too long, though, which is what JeepcoMJ is talking about.

I am looking at installing a tilt column in my truck. Is it easy to wire the cruise control and change the multifunction switch on the column if my tilt column doesn't come with cruise?

Man its hard finding a auto tilt column with cruise.

My next thing will be the guages!!!! I am looking for a guage cluster with the column shift indicator in it. Seems pretty rare too.

Thanks,

Ron

I was actually thinking of adding cruise to my truck too, although I was just gonna look for an aftermarket kit. I found one that looks pretty universal for anything from 85-97, which covers every MJ ever made.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

It's only $90 on amazon, and it doesn't look too difficult to install.

It might be too long, though, which is what JeepcoMJ is talking about.

nope, not what I'm talking about. the connector piece is a different end crimped onto the lower cable for cruise control. it has a different depth and flare. then it also has a nut on it, you screw that into the "transducer" and then screw the upper (short) cable into the transducer from the other end, and finally clip it into the gauge cluster.

I'll take a pic of my junk cruise control cable (hit exhaust manifold :() for you.

I was actually thinking of adding cruise to my truck too, although I was just gonna look for an aftermarket kit. I found one that looks pretty universal for anything from 85-97, which covers every MJ ever made.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

It's only $90 on amazon, and it doesn't look too difficult to install.

I installed that kit (one like it...same but different control switch) into an MJ for a guy. works great