Exterior Trim Paint Codes

Searched for @30mins on here and Google with no clear answer, so I'm taking the (hopefully) easier and faster route LOL. 

Looking for the paint codes for exterior trim such as flares and lower panels on two-tone trucks such as mine. I know my primary paint is Grenandine Metallic, code BD. But I don't know how to decipher the rest of the VIN plate assuming the codes I need are within the collection of numbers and letters. I believe the color is/was called Argent Gray for the flares, bumper end caps and lower body panels. 

VIN_Plate.jpg

Thanks for posting that Don. Unfortunately my VIN plate is not laid out like any of those in that chart, the closest one is one of the Wrangler samples. Additionally, they don't identify any secondary color codes or body moulding color codes that I am looking for.

So this evening with a determined search effort online I found some interesting tidbits. www.Paintscratch.com actually states on their Jeep info page that on two-tone color schemes "Jeep did a poor job of identifying secondary color codes" and that "often they were simply missing"! I persisted though with at least one piece of info I was confident was correct and that is the color of the two-tone flares and lower panel color is referred to as "Argent" (silver/charcoal/pewter etc) as I have seen that in the factory parts manual. Anyhoo, I stumbled across www.uniquecarsandparts.com and went through the color charts for AMC, Jeep and Chrysler for years 87-90. In the 1990 chart, they had a section for "bumpers and flexible fascias" for Jeeps and Eagles and there was Argent Metallic (low gloss), code A4YHAA/39340. This was further supported when I found the same info on www.sherwin-automotive.com . Now to find out if I can get some mixed up and rattle canned for me to redo my flares proper. 

1 hour ago, WahooSteeler said:

Thanks for posting that Don. Unfortunately my VIN plate is not laid out like any of those in that chart, the closest one is one of the Wrangler samples. Additionally, they don't identify any secondary color codes or body moulding color codes that I am looking for.

So this evening with a determined search effort online I found some interesting tidbits. www.Paintscratch.com actually states on their Jeep info page that on two-tone color schemes "Jeep did a poor job of identifying secondary color codes" and that "often they were simply missing"! I persisted though with at least one piece of info I was confident was correct and that is the color of the two-tone flares and lower panel color is referred to as "Argent" (silver/charcoal/pewter etc) as I have seen that in the factory parts manual. Anyhoo, I stumbled across www.uniquecarsandparts.com and went through the color charts for AMC, Jeep and Chrysler for years 87-90. In the 1990 chart, they had a section for "bumpers and flexible fascias" for Jeeps and Eagles and there was Argent Metallic (low gloss), code A4YHAA/39340. This was further supported when I found the same info on www.sherwin-automotive.com . Now to find out if I can get some mixed up and rattle canned for me to redo my flares proper. 

You are correct and this has been stated here before. 

Below is what a formula looks like, you have the code now, assumably, now you need to find someone who has the formula. 

'Low gloss' will likely come as a basecoat, no clear, you may need clear, likely you will. Depends on who makes it up for you and how. If it comes as a single stage you need to make sure you got your primer color right, one rattler ain't going to get you far if they make up base/metallic with clear added as a touch-up paint.

If anyone was going to be helpful at all here they'd start a forum or a page whereas owners can post their formulas for others. 

I just bought a quart of black today, enough to make nearly 1/2 gallon of product for $39. I just looked on ebay, custom mixed rattlers are about the same price for 10-12 oz. 

jIWjSSF.jpg