Tailight trouble...

My tail light looked as if a bulb was out.  The left was very bright, the right was dim.  So, I dismantled the thing and the socket and harness were an incredible mass of bad solders, disintegrating socket assemblies and broken wires.  I went about trying to rehab the whole thing.  and it just fell apart in my hands.  So, I'm waiting for a new (used)harness/socket in good shape. 

My question is:  The left tail (1157) is always burning both filaments and is VERY hot, the right just one until I hit the brake.  The top bulb (2056 I think) only burns one filament unless I hit the blinker and not when I hit the brake.  What's the correct configuration When should each light be burning both filaments?  The bottom bulb is reverse light and only needs one filament

I believe oe bulb is 2057. 1157 is a suitable replacement. Wattage is different, but more available. One filament is for taillight, other is for brake and turn. Should have 2 bulbs per side, plus back up lights.

56 is a single filament bulb, swap to dual.

Thanks for the link. 

So. as to my question...should the left hand 1157, middle bulb, always be burning two filaments?  The wiring to the left tail is all intact and looks good.  I think the PO tapped the harness near the right hand tail since there are (were) so many sketchy solders and blue tape labels, that can't be read.

43 minutes ago, ParadiseMJ said:

So. as to my question...should the left hand 1157, middle bulb, always be burning two filaments?  The wiring to the left tail is all intact and looks good.  I think the PO tapped the harness near the right hand tail since there are (were) so many sketchy solders and blue tape labels, that can't be read.

No.

Both stop/tail/turn bulbs on each side operate in tandem -- the dim filaments are the taillights, the bright filaments are the brake lights. The turn signals use the brake light filaments, and the turns override the brakes. Likewise, the hazard flashers override the brake lights.

Thanks Eagle,

That's what I was asking.  I'm pretty sure the funky trailer wiring with a combination of crimps and wire nuts and inch long disintegrating solders is the key to my problem.  That and the messed up socket harness.  Now I'm just waiting for the working one to get here.

Funny thing is that even with the crappy socket harness...the lights DO work...just not correctly.