speaking of lightning strikes.......

mjeff87

Wife and I went up to Philly for the weekend, and we had some hellacious storms here while we were away. Came home Sunday afternoon to find the same tree in the backyard that got hit two years ago got hit again. This time much, much worse. My next door neighbor said when it got hit, sparks flew out of every outlet in HIS house (I can only imagine what happened inside mine :eek: ). Fried up one GFCI outlet in my kitchen, a DVD player, a surround sound system that we just got :mad: , a TV, both cable modems, the cable telephone box, my PC, and both digital cable boxes. Also melted a cable splitter on the side of the house and killed a poor squirrel under my deck that made the unwise decision to sit on top of the cable line (actually blew it's face off.....).

Coulda been worse, but it still sucks. I won't be doing much with the Jeep for a little bit, I've got to get the tree taken down. In my uneducated opinion, it looks like about a $1000 job, at least.

Jeff

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

yeah, we've got State Farm on our side. Cable company was out yesterday for a few hours and replaced all their stuff. Two years ago the same tree got hit and it fried the cable line underground from the box on the street to the house (had to run and bury a new line).

We're supposed to be getting another batch of storms later this afternoon, hopefully after we get home from work. We normally unplug everything before a storm, but we weren't home for this one. Lesson learned.

Jeff

look into good surge suppressors, yes, they run about $100 each, but they are very good insurance against replacing all of that stuff, because when the big screen goes, your gonna be pissed, not because it was a good one, but because of how heavy the damn thing is going to be...

seems as though you're underground cable line is vulnerable.

Make the cable company put a surge suppressor on the outside of the house, bonded to the house electrical system, and grounded through an 8 foot rod.

Should solve the problem.

Yes, they will fight you on it, but they'll do it if you make the almighty threat of going satellite.