Tachometer potentiometer adjustment

Does anyone know which direction the tachometer potentiometer (screw head at the top of the pic) should be turned for a 6 cylinder? Eagle posted his friend found that all the way one direction is for a 4 cylinder and all the other way is for a 6 cylinder but which way? I know I can figure it out, but it seems tedious to connect, disconnect if needed and reconnect. If no one knows I'll do a DYI write up when I figure it out. Thanks

image.jpeg

I'm assuming this is for a renix?

If I remember correctly, the 87-90 clusters were the same for XJ/MJ and Wagoneer.   So, they were for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder.   Point being, all the way one way is 4 cyl, all the way the other is 8 cyl.  For the 4.0, it should be in the middle position.

Again, this is if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Does anyone know which direction the tachometer potentiometer (screw head at the top of the pic) should be turned for an 6 cylinder? Eagle posted his friend found that all the way one direction is for a 4 cylinder and all the other way is for a 6 cylinder but which way? I know I can figure it out, but it seems tedious to connect, disconnect if needed and reconnect. If no one knows I'll do a DYI write up when I figure it out. Thanks

You don't have to install the tach in the dashboard to test it. You know those two yellow connector blocks on the right side of the engine bay in the Renix years? One of those is a tachometer outlet -- and one is a ground. You can connect an idle tach to the engine, use jumpers to connect the tachometer you want to calibrate to the diagnostic port, and check it that way.