Anyone successfully removed the Control Arm Frame brackets?

Hey Folks,

I didnt want to do it, but it looks like I have to cut off my lower control arm frame brackets to make room for me new long arm setup. I just mocked up the new brackets with my new RE Flex joints, and the upper long arms will hit the side of the lower brackets, and from the looks of it, the lower arms might hit the bottom of the bracket under full stuff...

My reason for keeping the brackets was for more strength of the uni-body, and it would be a pain to remove them.. Plus if I ever wanted to put the truck back to stock form..

Well, now they are in the way, and must be removed.. and I don't think this truck will ever be stock again...

So has anyone done this with successful results? I don't want to hack them off, and was wondering if anyones just cut the welds and taking them off cleanly?..

Also any hints, tips, tricks and pics would be great..

Thanks,

Ryan

Yeah, I just did this but for a different reason, (I'm making a trailer out of an MJ). The spot welds were really inconsistent. Some popped off with a short burst of an air chisel, some were just points where all metal in the area was fused. If I was to do it again I would not try to mess with the welds. I'd just cut off the raised portion of the bracket that was in the way and re-box the structure with a length of similar thickness plate or box; but in a way that gave me the required clearance. The un-body "frame" gets its strength from boxing structures and the CA brackets are bridging an area where the frame makes a major bend. For whatever it's worth, it is 4 layers thick right there too.

You learn a lot about these trucks when you chop one into pieces. :eek:

You CAN cut them off so it doesn't even look like they ever existed. Which is a hell of a lot easier to do on an XJ. But it is possible on a MJ. You just have to be handy with a drill and a grinder...

Mine are all gone other than a peice of steel that is flat up against the frame. I could take it off, but it isn't worth the effort on my truck.

hack them off.

you can always just get a set from another guy on the club with a parts manche. example, I have NO problem with plasma cutting mine off tatersalad and shipping them to you when I part it out. so go ahead and cut yours out...cut the brackets, not the frame though, and I'll cut mine out nicely for you by fall and even include that portion of the frame rail if you'd like. you pay shipping of course...

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just go for it, and see where I end up...

This is going to be a trail rig, but I do like to make things pretty as much as possibly.. Hacking is really not in my vocabulary...

JeepcoMJ, thanks for the offer, but I think once they are gone, there is no turning back.. that would be just too much work!!!

THanks again guys,

Ryan