9 hours ago, MichiganDuck2 said:

You guys were right! Got the thermostat from the dealership and all is well. It was a Motorad thermostat in a MOPAR box, but it solved my issue. I made sure to test it on the stove first.

Thanks again.

The stat from the dealer has no aftermarket equal. 

I feel like my Jeep won't get up to temp. I posted elsewhere and was told it was nothing to be concerned about..

So per an IR thermometer at the t-stat housing, the coolant will get up to 170-175 degrees after 20-30 mins of mixed driving.

-The heat works great and both heater hoses are hot.

-The upper radiator hose gets warm-hot.

-The radiator is reading 100-130 degrees via IR thermometer. The radiator cap does not get hot. It was 43 degrees out when I did this drive.

88 Comanche with open cooling system, 4.0l. 

Flushed the (already pretty clean and under 2yr old) cooling system 2 times, once with VC9 and the other dish detergent, with no heater core in the loop. Then replaced heater core, and put in a new 195 degree Stant thermostat. Coolant is roughly a 50-50 mix and all new. I did all this and now it won't get up to temp. Before this the Jeep always ran perfectly at 205/210 and never had an overheating issue.

Any ideas?

Clean the temp sensor in the head and if your thermostat has a warranty, see if it’s one of the batch of incorrectly marked ones. I think the 9 of 192F is upside down.

Synthetic atf in extreme temp areas tends to fix cold shift issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk