Power steering replacement

Hi all, looks like I might need a new p.s. pump. I topped it off to normal levels before a trip to the local OHV park as there has been a small leak, and I noticed after about an hour on a windy mountain road that power steering would cease to function below 5mph. After we pulled off to eat lunch, before wheeling, I checked the pump and noticed all the fluid I wiped away earlier was now back and dripping down the side of the pump. It did alright wheeling but wasn't that great over rocks and washes. It seems to be a problem for a bunch of xj/mj guys, and it appears the 01-04 WJ pump is the best bolt-on replacement. 

Can anyone confirm if it is a solid way to go, and if it is bolt-on? I'm replacing the steering spacer, too, with the steel jcr one when I put on my new bumper this week and hopefully that'll take off some of the pressure.

Here's a pic as of this morning, thanks for the help!!

629n0Ir.jpg

I did put on a WJ PS Pump on my XJ. I do plan this for my MJ. I can't say one way or another as to helping or not. I did rebuild the pump before installing it. There is an extra hose port on the one I pick from a PnP, the fluid reservoir.. I put a fine thread bolt up in it. Put sealant on the threads. Put a vacuum cap over it, and a hose clamp. Seems to work OK. I did replace the steering gear box with a rebuilt unit a bit before that. The XJ reservoirs didn't fit the XJ pumps. You might look at KJ reservoirs.  I have read that with the Durango box, the WJ pump helps. I do have a Dakota gear box rebuilt for the MJ.

I did have OTK steering put on recently and WJ Big Brakes and a Ford 8.8 on the XJ. I am getting use to it, but feels so much better on the highway and in twisty roads.

The pump was bolt on. I can't remember if I needed to get a different PS hose or not. I did have to replace the bolt fitting with the XJs one. Its the one in your pic with the pressure hose going to it.

33 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

I did put on a WJ PS Pump on my XJ. I do plan this for my MJ. I can't say one way or another as to helping or not. I did rebuild the pump before installing it. There is an extra hose port on the one I pick from a PnP, the fluid reservoir.. I put a fine thread bolt up in it. Put sealant on the threads. Put a vacuum cap over it, and a hose clamp. Seems to work OK. I did replace the steering gear box with a rebuilt unit a bit before that. The XJ reservoirs didn't fit the XJ pumps. You might look at KJ reservoirs.  I have read that with the Durango box, the WJ pump helps. I do have a Dakota gear box rebuilt for the MJ.

I did have OTK steering put on recently and WJ Big Brakes and a Ford 8.8 on the XJ. I am getting use to it, but feels so much better on the highway and in twisty roads.

The pump was bolt on. I can't remember if I needed to get a different PS hose or not. I did have to replace the bolt fitting with the XJs one. Its the one in your pic with the pressure hose going to it.

Thanks for the feedback. I priced out the durango box and WJ pump for about $250 from napa/autozone. If the WJ pump won't work the reservoirs maybe I can get that from the store as well. No recent luck with PnP or JY so I'm just going to get what's available for now.

From what I've read it seems like you need the durango box to get the most out of the WJ pump so I figure I might as well do both.  

The stock Durango is suppose to limit your turning radius. Make sure you read up on the mods to gain more turning. There are protrusions on the internal side of the end cap, that get ground off. I forget if there was something more. I might have noticed a bit better with the WJ PS pump and stock box. Not sure though, as a few other changes.  The extra hole or port in the reservoir might have just been that particular year. Some, as I've been told used the fluid from the PS pump for the clutch fan.  Need to check on that.

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

The stock Durango is suppose to limit your turning radius. Make sure you read up on the mods to gain more turning. There are protrusions on the internal side of the end cap, that get ground off. I forget if there was something more. I might have noticed a bit better with the WJ PS pump and stock box. Not sure though, as a few other changes.  The extra hole or port in the reservoir might have just been that particular year. Some, as I've been told used the fluid from the PS pump for the clutch fan.  Need to check on that.

Got it. I'm looking at maybe saving a bit more for the Ironman4x4Fab box and bracket. I'm about to replace my spacer (so I already have that) when I put on my JCR bumper. It looks like it's a heavy duty bolt-on kit, and offers Hydro porting so I think it'd run with WJ pump. https://www.ironman4x4fab.com/product-page/xj-steering-box-brace-with-blue-top-box 

I picked up a durango box recently and am working on getting a WJ pump for the XJ (wheeling rig). I was going to also use the boostwerks steering brace which they confirmed works with the durango box. I'm hoping to tackle that in the spring as I wrap up the MJ project. Let me know how you make out, or if I do it before then I'll let you know.