How to Convert to front leafs???

I am thinking about converting to leaf springs up front. I know a couple people have done it here i am wondering the cost and the street handling.

Also how they did thier setup. I am only wanting to match my rear spring over so anywhere around 6 inches would be good.

Maybe yj stock leafs.

Thanks.

My street handling is horrible. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably do it right. I mean, 0* caster and a very strange steering setup doesn't make for the best driver experience. And horrible shocks don't help...

If I was driving it a bunch, I'd definatly not do front leafs. But that's me. In all my experience, a half decent coil setup will outdrive leafs anyday.

Oh, there's hidden costs. Highsteer (you need it anyways), longer driveshaft, new shocks, more steering components, etc etc.

Ohyeah, I have waggy fronts. Sits maybe at 8, 8.5". Who knows. It could be made to sit down a lot better. You'd jsut have to notch the frame. Which is actually a good idea. But front leafs are a toyota thing. Not a jeep thing. Mine are going to be changed...

That's funny you say that dirty...

Every person i've ever heard of doing a front leafs on their MJ/XJ has regretted it in some way or another.

I've always wanted to do it because leafs are way simpler than coils n junk, but all the regret really holds me back. I don't think i'll ever get around to it with my current laundry list of to-do's... :hateputers:

I figured it was worth a shot. I like to think I started my conversion (and maybe even finished it) before it became a fad. Now it seems everybody is either doing it, or wants to. There was a time when it was 'the thing' to put front leafs on TJs. Mysteriously enough, you don't see many of them around anymore.

I think that front leafs can work well. And I think it's probably better to have front leafs and rear coils than the other way around. However, with the XJ/MJ platform you have perfectly good provisions for coils right from the factory. So why not use them? Well, there is cost. Which link suspension isn't actually much more - if you have the fab skills to make a front leaf setup. Sure, you have to spend a few bucks on coil springs, where-as most guys can pull leafs from a junkyard. And there's a few bucks for the good flex joints. And a few more for link material. But as a whole, it really isn't a lot more. I have way more money in my steering setup than my suspension. And again, way more in my axles. Another thing about links, is I think many people are scared because it isn't 'simple'. Which is probably a notion spawned from hearing people (me?) talk about a bunch of gibberish like anti-squat/dive, roll axis, instant centre, etc. Or from not having looked at enough designs to fully understand them. I hate to say it, but if you follow a general forumal for you link lengths and placements, and leave a little adjustability, you don't really have to worry about doing the math part. And almost all link suspensions are actually quite simple once it is all boiled down.

My J10 has leaf springs, good front shocks, leaf springs and air shocks in the rear, and it rides much smoother than my Comanche but certianly is nowhere as nimble.

I attributed the weight of the J10 to the smooth ride, but could it be that the leaf springs are largely responsible, and is the trade off handeling? :bowdown: