On-Board Air Question

A friend of mine offered to give me a scuba set up to make an OBA system. It's a steel tank, recently inspected, and I think he said 3000 PSI / 60CF. Are scuba tanks practical to use for this? I'm curious about fittings, regulators, etc.

I beleive thats roughly a 6 gallon tank, not too shabby. most permanantly installed tanks only hold 7 gallons, so your not far behind. your only going to be using about 140psi max, so its not like its going to blow the bottle up or anything. I'd say use it. I would.

he didn't say it was steel.

scuba tanks are available in aluminum as well.

BTW I think if you use a proper regulator, you could run PSI as high as scuba does...it's only about $10 for a refill on a scuba tank and that much pressure would be GREAT for working on things. especially since it has a ready-made disconnectable valve.

I wanna say, use the regulator and primary valve and block off the secondary, but set the pressure as your readout.

I can't read.

BUT my point does stand that it is very usable.

on top of that, I can carry two 6 gallon scuba tanks on my back while walking with my fins on in my 7mm wetsuit, goggles, snorkel, hood, and gloves with the BCD deflated just fine.

I weigh 160 and have a body fat percentage of 4.2% which means that the other 95.8% of my body is comprised of 70% water, leaving me with just about 25.8% of muscle and bone. that's all approximate, but it just points out I'm no big guy (6'1" but scrawny) and it isn't too much of a burden for me to carry, so I don't consider the weight of a scuba tank a factor.

I like the idea of a high pressure tank...

I was thinking using it with an OBA compressor, but a carry it on your back version would kick @$$ for junk yards.

haha NO.

I am comfortable with a high pressure tank in a low-gravity environment.

but no way would I walk around with scuba gear on my back in a junkyard. baaaad idea.

I was thinking more of a mount-to-truck and refill when needed system

I'll snag the tank and see what the fittings look like. The dive shops aren't supposed to fill anything that isn't 100% stock and standard. And, if they are really following the rules, I'll need a dive card too. Maybe a restaurant service or welding supply can put a different gas in the tank? Living on the edge of the Mojave Desert means there are not many dive shops in my neighborhood either.

Thanx all for the input and any more that may come. I'll post whatever I end up doing.

but it just points out I'm no big guy (6'1" but scrawny) and it isn't too much of a burden for me to carry, so I don't consider the weight of a scuba tank a factor.

haha, you're scrawny!?! try 6' 125 (fully clothed, sopping wet) :eek:

havent gained a pound since 8th grade :headpop: and ive grown 11" :redX: