I hate remote starters

Kenosha Warrior

So Ive got this stupid problem with the MJ. The DSPO had a remote starter installed alng with a always-malfunctioning Kill-Switch. Positioned wonderously beside the handbrake release. Loooooovely.

seems that when all this crap started happening, I vaguely remember using the e-brake each time. bad mojo. I got down and looked at the switch. its in the middle. Not quite on, not quite off. I flick it to ON and the relay that controls the dash lights clicks. Flick it off and try to start it. Shazam. the motor roars to life. I let it run for a bit then turn it off, try to start it again. Kazzamm again. it started 3 times. I figured all was good. So I stick the hazard, park and Power Acc fuses back in and try to start the truck. No mojo. Deader than a doornail. So I fiddle with the remote starter kill switch. No dice. Ok, I'm too far in to stop. So I tore the dash off, removed the remote starter and swapped out the blue relay that controls the instrument panel lights and dimmer switch. (How do you swap those out?)

Once the battery is charged in the morning I'm going to tryn' get it going. Wish me luck.

So I tore the dash off, removed the remote starter and swapped out the blue relay that controls the instrument panel lights and dimmer switch. (How do you swap those out?)

to remove the light switch, there is a small button you press on the back of the switch. metal, spring on it. very small. press it and while pressing, pull on the switch with your other hand. will pull the switch out, revealing a large flathead bolt that the switch handle runs through. remove that bolt, and the switch assembly will come down. you will need the kneeboard off to do this. don't remove instrument cluster, that won't give you access anyways

So I tore the dash off, removed the remote starter and swapped out the blue relay that controls the instrument panel lights and dimmer switch. (How do you swap those out?).

I don't know what you've got, but there is no blue relay that controls the dimmer switch. The dimmer is built into the headlight switch, and it's a good, old-fashioned rheostat (no, not "potentiometer," rheostat).

there's a blue relay next to it behind the kick panel...and there's also the blue door chime module...

yeah that, its factory as its poking out of a factory-wrapped wireloom that has the penstar all over it. Little blue 30a relay, and maybe 4 inches below, stuffed in behind the e-brake pedal is a little blue module, sorta looks like a miniature tape cassette (the chime module). I yanked that stupid remote starter module out. When I get off work I'm going to see if that fixed my little irritating issue. EVERY symptom Ive had re: electrical problems can be traced to this irritating little Remote starter module. The instrument lights flashing, the solenoid click, the weird hissing/buzz sound, park lights flashing. Yeah, soon as I unplugged this module and set the kill switch to OFF all these little things stopped. My headlight/dimmer switch may be fubar'ed too.

Oh, and I meant the kneeboard and bezel. Not the entire dash. I just needed at the wiring looms down below. There's also a little clear box with white gears inside, its screwed to the kneeboard. Didn't get a gooood look at it but it looks factory. Anyone know what it is?

IIRC that's an emissions timer. All it does is trigger the CEL to come on at a preset mileage (75,000 I think), as a reminder to change the 02 sensor...whether it needs it or not :roll:

Jeff