97+ Steering Column Install

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty installing the 97+ steering column into my 87 Comanche. I shouldn't be having any issues as this is all the same stuff from the donor XJ. I will post pics in a few, but if you can visualize the four studs in play here. Two are at the bottom of the steering column shaft and two are at the top that hold the column up and go through the tilt mechanism. Once I slide the shaft into the bottom two, the top two no longer line up. What am I missing or doing wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty installing the 97+ steering column into my 87 Comanche. I shouldn't be having any issues as this is all the same stuff from the donor XJ. I will post pics in a few, but if you can visualize the four studs in play here. Two are at the bottom of the steering column shaft and two are at the top that hold the column up and go through the tilt mechanism. Once I slide the shaft into the bottom two, the top two no longer line up. What am I missing or doing wrong?

I put mine in about 20 times before I finally figured out the best way to install it. It's hard to describe but the Springs in your tilt mechanism have some play so you can shift the whole plastic plate around a little. It also helps to slide the bottom two bolts on and then sort of pull the column out and down slightly and it helps line the top up. It is possible to push that tilt plate by hand and get it on but that's really difficult. Also play with the tilt of the column. Put the top two bolts on but not the back ones and pull the tilt lever and adjust it. I don't remember what position is best but it definitely makes a difference if it's tilted correctly.

I put mine in about 20 times before I finally figured out the best way to install it. It's hard to describe but the Springs in your tilt mechanism have some play so you can shift the whole plastic plate around a little. It also helps to slide the bottom two bolts on and then sort of pull the column out and down slightly and it helps line the top up. It is possible to push that tilt plate by hand and get it on but that's really difficult. Also play with the tilt of the column. Put the top two bolts on but not the back ones and pull the tilt lever and adjust it. I don't remember what position is best but it definitely makes a difference if it's tilted correctly.
I'm headed to the garage to try it now.

So there absolutely is a way to do this without drilling a bigger hole (sometimes I consider extreme solutions first). But no seriously, what in the world am I missing?

DO NOT drill any holes. It will work and you will cause more problems if you drill a hole. It will go on you just have to be persistent and continue adjusting things until it goes. I was at the point you are at many times before I finally got it on and adjusted properly. The first time I put it on I pushed hard against the adjuster plate and pushed the column until it slipped in so you can try that but be careful not to break anything.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Like I said idk how to describe what I did. It sucked and pissed me off for days but when it finally was adjusted properly it would just go on and off no problem. Hopefully someone may chime in with some other tips. Just keep trying and it will go on.

The hole in the floor is different than the 97+ hole. Did you move it to the right location?

^^^^

This needs done first. Totally forgot about that.

Hole in the floor? If you are referring to the hole in the firewall I have moved its location. But for this, the hole in the firewall does not come in to play yet

The hole in the floor is different than the 97+ hole. Did you move it to the right location?

^^^^

Hole in the floor? If you are referring to the hole in the firewall I have moved its location. But for this, the hole in the firewall does not come in to play yet

Do you have the shaft removed? When I did mine it was all one piece all the way to where it connects to the steering box so I had to have the hole cut. It should be a little easier to get on without the extra weight of the shaft.

^^^^

Do you have the shaft removed? When I did mine it was all one piece all the way to where it connects to the steering box so I had to have the hole cut. It should be a little easier to get on without the extra weight of the shaft.

Yes my shaft is removed (which I have found creates another set of problems) , but i got it to go in. I came back in the house, ate a sandwich, and watched about 5 minutes of the morning news. When I got back to the garage, I tilted my head 3 degrees off my shoulders, curled my toes in my boots and squinted one eye to lessen the glare of the light and the column slipped right in. Those are my official instructions for the install. Those are the only things that I done differently from my first and 100th attempt.

Thanks for your assistance

^^^^

Yes my shaft is removed (which I have found creates another set of problems) , but i got it to go in. I came back in the house, ate a sandwich, and watched about 5 minutes of the morning news. When I got back to the garage, I tilted my head 3 degrees off my shoulders, curled my toes in my boots and squinted one eye to lessen the glare of the light and the column slipped right in. Those are my official instructions for the install. Those are the only things that I done differently from my first and 100th attempt.

Thanks for your assistance

Glad it finally worked out. Sometimes persistence is the only way. I'll have to remember those instructions I ever have to do it again.