Another diesel swap thread

It seems I've been stuck with an 08 CRD WK that has a done fuel tank among other body issues. So before sending it to the corner or scrap yard what are the odds for putting the engine into my 87 MJ? I'm only considering this 3.0 Mercedes engine as an option, since I have it sitting here, if I do any swap at all. Or else I'll just rebuild my tired renix.

My MJ is currently lifted 4.5". So I'm hoping that will clear the oil pan of the 3.0 Mercedes crd.

Has anyone succeeded with this or know anyone who has who I can get in contact with to get the dirt on if it's worth it?

It's a V6, right?  First thing to do is measure how wide it is and see if it can fit in the Comanche without cutting.  Think the smart thing would be to use the whole WJ power train in the MJ.

If that seems to work, then move on to researching the electronics.  Perhaps best to strip it down to just the engine/trans management systems first?  Good Luck and post what you learn.

This should be a fantastic swap into the Comanche. 400 lb/ft of low end torque!! Modern transmission!  What is not to like.  Most important you have the whole WJ to start with.

It'll be in a WK not a WJ, but yes an entire powertrain swap would be your most realistic bet.  I just wonder how difficult it will be to fool the theft deterrent... The CDI (engine controller) will no doubt need to communicate with the instrument cluster, ignition switch, etc. and who knows if anybody out there fools with the software on that...

I can't recall how wide the engine is; its a weirdo 72* design so height might be more of an issue than the width.