Adding AC to '86 / 2.5L with V Belt - Mounting Compressor

Ill start out by saying that I am not in front of my truck, currently, so I cannot provide pictures of the engine bay.  I can do so later, if needed (I'm sure it will be).  In the mean time, I'm hoping someone has a working idea of this or has done it, themselves.

My 86 2.5L uses a vbelt.  I do not have AC (obviously) or power steering, so the routing looks like this -

0900c1528008a813.gif

The 2.5L that came with AC from the factory, as my FSM states, came with a serpentine belt. So, everything I've read as far as routing will not work for me.  I am looking for ideas as to how to mount the compressor.  Below is the proposed idea, but I'm guessing all of the bracketry that I have found will not fit properly if mounted on the drivers side (subbing the p/s pump for the compressor).

0900c1528008a814.gif

First off, do any of you all think that the factory compressor bracket can be made to work on the drivers side of the engine, as pictured above and subbing the p/s pump?

If not, what suggestions do you all have on mounting the compressor?

Photos of both side of the engine, if that assists.

I just test fitted, the bracket that holds the compressor doesn't come close to fitting in the P/S area. Have you all tried any of the brackets on Jeepair?

866a86c3d54d9e4f7407b58e699761c7.jpg69d0a5b607a4642f36410ab5f0feece2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just a thought but you could get the serpentine belt configuration to work just like factory if you changed over to the correct single belt water pump....it runs the other way from the one you have now....then you could source factory parts and configure it like the other...

I wondered about this since I towed this project truck home: Two '86 model year trucks with AC, one has V-belts, the other has a serpentine belt. Maybe the bracketry for the V-Belt engine is not factory, maybe it is a production change...

I'll get more pictures of these if you want:

Both configurations were avaliable from the factory, v belts were common on wranglers.The difference will be as I said the water pump for the v belt set up spins the other dirrction.

Easy way to compare since your motors are out is to remove the water pumps and do a side by side from the back....the vanes will run different directions. But they are interchangeable (just ask anyone who has put the wrong one on)

I'll get more pictures of these if you want:

Can you provide more pictures of how the alternator is mounted to the compressor/compressor support?

Ive found some brackets to mount everything similar to how it is routed in your v belt example.  However, the alternator sits directly on top of the compressor, instead of offset at 45 degree angle.  This doesn't leave enough room for the hood to close.

Both configurations were avaliable from the factory, v belts were common on wranglers.The difference will be as I said the water pump for the v belt set up spins the other dirrction.

Easy way to compare since your motors are out is to remove the water pumps and do a side by side from the back....the vanes will run different directions. But they are interchangeable (just ask anyone who has put the wrong one on)

Tracking.  I am sticking with the v belt configuration.  I'm just trying to figure out a way to mount a compressor. 

That's what hypoid's post shows. If you can get a picture, I'd like to see how the alternator mounts to the compressor.

I picked up some brackets for a 4.2 yj and that got me really close. However, the alternator is directly on top of the compressor, which doesn't leave enough room for the hood to close.

Not to be a buzzkill, but both those engines are headed for the recycle yard. I do have an add in the classifieds.

I you think this thread can benefit from more pictures, I'll get them taken for you.

I sent you a PM about the brackets. No need for a picture now. I appreciate it, though.