Sun Roof Trim

Hey guys, I have tossed around the idea of adding a sun roof to one of my MJ's, but I would like to see what you did, or perhaps a previous owner did, to the interior. Did you trim out the headliner with something or leave it and find a way to get it snug agains the roof? I do not know when this will ever happen for me, but I have yet to see the interior of someones MJ or XJ at that. Thanks! 

Old post. I had one put in years ago, a CRL 15' x 30" pop-up. No leaks ever, even through the car wash. Depends if the installer knows what he's doing, as in anything else.

:agree: Do what you want to your own rig, but if you are not skilled in the install (I'm not) get it done by a pro. The ones that leak were mostly installed by dummies trying to save a buck. MJ sunroofs were never a factory option, they were a dealer installed option. I had one put in a few years back by the same guy that did the installs for most of the the Southeastern US Jeep dealers since he was close by. No leaks, no problems, and I enjoy it in the summer.

And to protect your bald head, if you have one, these are available.

Old post. I had one put in years ago, a CRL 15' x 30" pop-up. No leaks ever, even through the car wash. Depends if the installer knows what he's doing, as in anything else.

:agree: Do what you want to your own rig, but if you are not skilled in the install (I'm not) get it done by a pro. The ones that leak were mostly installed by dummies trying to save a buck. MJ sunroofs were never a factory option, they were a dealer installed option. I had one put in a few years back by the same guy that did the installs for most of the the Southeastern US Jeep dealers since he was close by. No leaks, no problems, and I enjoy it in the summer.

And to protect your bald head, if you have one, these are available.

I guess I just got a bad install... well... I've taken it all the way out, bought new seals and glass cuz I shattered mine and reinstalled with about 40 gallons of every sealer and caulk we could try. Still leaks... leaks when it's just sitting, leaks A LOT while you're driving in the rain with the windows cracked....

I hate mine.

Its gamble, but I am willing to take it....at the moment. I will not be doing this mod myself. A professional will definitely be handling it. I have seen the pictures of yours Don, but until now I have not seen the inside work. Very clean. Does the rubber gasket come down and meet the headliner so you cannot see the roof through the cutout of the headliner? 

I guess I am asking what keeps the headliner tight to the roof of the truck? And is the grey plastic piece removable? 

I dropped it off and picked it up the next day; I don't know how it's installed. I just know it doesn't move or leak.  :yes:

Yes, the gray plastic piece just clips on and is easily removable. It's an accessory piece from CRL.