2.5 ignition upgrade?

I have and '86 MJ with a TBI 2.5L. I now have access to a friend's old MSD Blaster ignition, and was considering purchasing the coil/cap&rotor/wires to go along with it.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade for the 2.5? I'm not expecting to perform miracles with this engine - it's my DD and I don't do heavy wheeling. But if the MSD would boost my mpg a little and add a tad more pep in mixed driving, I'd be happy.

However, I was looking through the MSD application guides, and can't find any part #'s for an '86 2.5L. I understand this is a Renix engine, so is the upgrade even possible? Or is it just a matter of using generic GM or Motorcraft coils and cap&rotors? (sorry, when it comes to ignition specifics on these things, I'm definitely a noob)

Firsthand accounts or the parts #'s of the components used from anyone who's tried this would be appreciated ....

The TBI 2.5 has very little aftermarket support. I was surprised to see a thread on 2.5L ignition at all!

You could run the generic coil, but I don't think there's anyway to change out the cap and rotor. Just the coil will help you out though, if the price is worth it.

Thanks - that's kinda what I figured.

I can get the ignition box for free, and generic MSD coil runs about $60, so it's probably worth a try.

I've noticed that there are lots of parts available for later years of the 2.5L - but my understanding is those are the years after the Chryco takeover, and those aren't "Renix" . Are some parts out of those (i.e. just the cap & rotor) interchangeable?

Yes 1991 and up is the MPI so theres is a diff. they have alot less vaccum crap on them also the wire harness is even more simple by the look of it so far. As far as aftermarket support Freerok is right there is very very little. The best upgrade would be to bore it out or replace it with the newer MPI or a 4.0 but thats kinda drastic for someone just wanting a little better preformance.

Cole

Thanks for the info guys.

I found that Accel makes a high performance coil (part #: 140011) and cap&rotor (8130) for the '86 2.5L

When I get a free weekend, I'll put in the parts and then report back if it makes a noticeable difference.

The only reason I'm even doing this is because I get the most expensive part for free. That 2.5L struggles on even the slightest hill, but I love the 30mpg out of a daily driver.

The ignition coil is the same as some Ford applications, but it's already fairly high output. You may have a partially clogged injector (there is only 1 after all!) A can of BG's 44K usually helps a lot. Is the EGR sticking? (I went to an aftermarket replacement and put a smaller port in so it only kills the ping and not the power)

I went to different plugs (I upgraded my 4 cyl to Splitfire plus and wires (plugs don't work right without the wires. Tried the wires with regular plugs and melted the tips off them!) On my high mileage 4.0L, I went to NGK 2288s (double ground, cooler than stock heat range) as I have no EGR and my ping is gone as long as my blowby tube isn't pumping stuff down the intake. (gotta put a new catch bottle in!~)