Master Cylinder and brake line from a 2001 XJ...

Hello all,

Well, my 4x4 conversion if SLOWLY progressing... I'm putting in an NV3550 and I've been told I need to replace the master cylinder in my 1988 to match the slave cylinder in the NV3550. Regardless of whether that's true of not, It's probably a good thing to replace the cylinder anyway.

My problem is, I can't find the plastic clutch line between the master and slave cylinder. The dealer says it's included in the slave cylinder and is not available seperatly. Is there another alternative? Thanks.

Clarke

If it is similar to the one used in the '94 XJ, you can cobble together something using brake line and standard fittings. We did it at Paragon a couple of years ago when one of the guys had his plastic clutch line pop from too much low speed crawling on a hot day.

Having said it can be done ... I don't remember what fittings were needed. He got a ride into town, caught a local parts store just before they closed for the day, and basically bought a bunch of stuff that looked like it might work, then came back to the campground and we used the ones that fit.

How different is the new MC from the old one? On the old XJs and MJs the line was a separate part. I think I'd be inclined to stay with the odrl MC (unless it needs replacement) and just look for a way to adapt the connection at the slave cylinder end.

I used a compression fitting from the hardware store to adapt my old MJ line to the new TJ line. Has worked beautifully for years in the 88 so I did the same for my 90 and it blew apart on me the first time I applied pressure. So I redid it with a new fitting and tightened it more and so far so good. There's definitely a reason why you aren't supposed to use that style fitting on brake lines. :eek: