MJ shaking

I had a 3" skyjacker lift on the front (92 MJ) and put new shocks in the back and then just put a new set of leaf springs on. It seems like the rear shocks are topped out and as I'm driving it feels like I'm driving down a bumpy road. Is this because the shocks are too short or something else? It doesn't matter if it's in gear or neutral. The shocks *should* have been long enough considering they came with the kit but thats my first guess anyway. Anyone have any other ideas?

Pull a shock off and measure total travel extended and collapsed. Then measure the distance between the shock mounts. That will tell you something. They might have shipped the wrong shocks w. your lift kit?

the skyjacker rear shocks are short.

I have the same lift. Even before I did a 1" shackle the skyjacker shocks were too short to really work the rear suspension.

Solution?

longer shocks, or relocating the lower shock mount to the tube.

If that your problem.... Here is a cheap & easy lower shock mount.

Get two pieces of 2X2X2 "C" steel 1/8" think but to 2" long. Find center and drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the "top".

Now head to the parts store and look for the help section. Buy two lower shock mounting studs. Bolt them to your mounts you just made and weld that to your axle tube and you have higher, MUCH better protected lower shock mounts!!

Here is some pix...

CW

CW is that the current configuration that your MJ shock mounts are in & what type of rear end axle is on your mistress :brows: that is what my wife states if i"m talking with my girl friend :jump:

There are no bar pins on the rear of a Comanche to use BPE's on? Both top and bottom (rear) are stud mounts.

Cherokee top rears use a bar pin... but not Comanches.CW

AAAAARGH. Knew that - brain pharte :oops:

CW is that the current configuration that your MJ shock mounts are in & what type of rear end axle is on your mistress :brows: that is what my wife states if i"m talking with my girl friend :jump:

Well now..I am glad you asked!! I think I may have a pic or two some where here... let me look... BTW, She's a D44...LOVE them D's!! :brows:

I swapped in Bilsteins 5100's with the DB install a couple months back. I bought them a tad longer so I needed to tip the tops in a bit more than I really wanted to. but they are OK. One oops...I had my pop drill one side as I was tired and my back ached so he drilled it a bit off... I need to get back under there and re-drill one side so they are the same.

I put a bunch of gravel in the back of my truck to weigh it down. It's a whole brand new leaf spring set so they might take a bit to settle but when it's weighed down about an inch it no longer tops out the shocks. Hopefully after some time I can take the rocks out and it'll still ride nice. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case it happens to someone else.

The problem with angling shocks like that is it takes away from the dampening aspects of them. It is an unatural motion for the shocks to dampening bumps from front to rear if they are angled sideways. Angling them sideways works great for stability, or making what you got work, but shocks were designed to operate best at or near 90*

The problem with angling shocks like that is it takes away from the dampening aspects of them. It is an unatural motion for the shocks to dampening bumps from front to rear if they are angled sideways. Angling them sideways works great for stability, or making what you got work, but shocks were designed to operate best at or near 90*

Agree Pong. especially with gas shocks. The sideways angle does not allow the valve mulit-staging to function as designed, and can cause poor dampening and fading. This I got from the OME engineers when I was thinking of going with a different more sideways mounting in back so I could use shorter travel shocks. But they finally came up with a ZJ shock that was just right travel-wise for my application.

yeah, the MJ is becoming more and more trail toy and less street friendly, so I'm not worried terribly much about the handling detriments on the street. Only thing it's gonna see anymore are major highways on the way to wheel.