pretty much all trucks from the 80s and early 90s used the hard bar "straps" id imagine most are interchangeable and may even be found in the "help" section of parts stores. or convert to cables, again, from a comparable truck, (s10, ranger, Dakota)   I probably wouldn't try from a CJ as its not really a comparable platform.

I guess the next question is why are you wanting to replace them... seems as if they are still intact.

He may be wanting to replace them for the same reason I want to replace mine. Tons of play and always getting in a bind when I try to close the tailgate. usually take 2-3 times for me.

Unless you're desiring to "keep it pure" I found that cables are much better...stronger, no rattle, easier to remove when you need the tailgate off.

PLEASE SHARE

Do you mean share/explain what...how...or why?

Measure, buy, install.

One of my strap/strut/hinges was bent.  Noticed I could put cables on it like newer trucks instead.

Felt it was a good upgrade.

Readily available in various lengths with proper fittings on both ends.

Unless you're desiring to "keep it pure" I found that cables are much better...stronger, no rattle, easier to remove when you need the tailgate off.

PLEASE SHARE

Do you mean share/explain what...how...or why?

Measure, buy, install.

One of my strap/strut/hinges was bent.  Noticed I could put cables on it like newer trucks instead.

Felt it was a good upgrade.

Readily available in various lengths with proper fittings on both ends.

Did you reuse the bracket on the tail gate an drill out the rivet? I can see attaching to the beside being no problem but what route did you take fabrication wise at the tailgate?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the timing.  I took the bracket off the tailgate, cut/drilled the rivet off, tapped the bracket, put it back on, Held up the cable end and sent in the bolt.  I had to go look because I did it 5-6 years ago and forgot how I did it.  It's still solid.  I had to "train" (bend) the cables to fold up right and stay inside the gap.  But like I said, they're solid and strong.