need help and info on 4x4 swap

ok guys i need some help on deciding how I'm going to proceed with my swap. i have a 87 Jeep Comanche, I6 2wd 5spd stick. i also have a 96 jeep cherokee I6 4x4 Auto trans. I'm wanting to take these 2 and make my Comanche 4x4 with the auto trans, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. I'm doing this because my cherokee rusting out and has a salvage title and on its last leg, the comanche has perfect body and clean title

Option one: lots of work, i swap the whole engine transmission t case and ALL the electronics ( harnesses computers dash ect) out of my cherokee into the comanche. this is allot of work and I'm a lil uncomfortable doing that because ive never done it and fear that ill screw it up. the other reason I'm leaning away from this is there is sighs of rigging in the electrical of the charokee before i owned it and i don't want to put bad electrical in, 

Option two: i take just the Auto trans and tcase and mate them to the engine in the comanche. if i do this i know i need a flex plate that matches my torque converter. But then i have to find some way to wire the auto trans up which i don't know how to do.  

any tips info or right ups on wiring a auto trans into a Manuel comanche or cherokee?

all the help would be much appreciated!! 

12472802_203468156708430_466064600702207

Both options have problems.

With option 1, you will have to adapt some of the XJ harness to work in the MJ.  You will have some trouble with the fuel sending unit being different resistance values, IIRC.  That can be solved by either finding a HO MJ fuel sending unit, or building/adapting the correct sender (there is some writeups on this, as HO MJ sending units are hard to find).

With option 2, you're still going to need to track down an automatic wiring harness out of a Renix XJ or MJ, ECU and TCU, and there will be some trouble with the CPS indexing (IIRC), and the TV cable is different.  It's going to be a similar amount of work.  Unless you want to shift the transmission manually all the time, in which case you could retain the wiring harness and ECU you have, and just have to deal with the CPS.  I think RADesigns or whateverhisnameis is still making and selling a nice manual setup using a Winters shifter.  I actually still have an old BrettM setup in the box somewhere, who knows where though.

Personally, I would probably go with option 1.  Well, honestly I would put the HO engine/trans/tcase in and adapt the Renix controls to it and use the spare Renix auto harness I have, but I like doing things the hard way.

.  I think RADesigns or whateverhisnameis is still making and selling a nice manual setup using a Winters shifter.  I actually still have an old BrettM setup in the box somewhere, who knows where though.

hey thanks!! i think the  RADesigns Winter Shiftier will be perfect for me. if i read it right it allows to to bypass the computers so i don't have to bother trying to figure out how to tie it into the renex and risk screwing something up, and i really don't mind shifting manually as long as i got all of my gears. I'm trying to get in contact with them to see what ill need but from what i read its just what i need. . "Gives manual control of 4spd automatic transmissions with or without the TCM/TCU or PCM." i just can't remember what the name code for the transmission i have is. i just had it rebuilt its the one made by toyota

You have an AW4.

Call/email him and talk to him to make sure it does what you want, he's a helpful dude. 

You will still have to adapt the NSS so you have backup lights, and you may want to add the actual safety switch wiring so you can't start it in gear, along with playing with the TV cable a bit so it functions correctly.  And you will still have to make the CPS work (get the correct flexplate, make sure the CPS is indexed correctly).

You have an AW4.

Call/email him and talk to him to make sure it does what you want, he's a helpful dude. 

You will still have to adapt the NSS so you have backup lights, and you may want to add the actual safety switch wiring so you can't start it in gear, along with playing with the TV cable a bit so it functions correctly.  And you will still have to make the CPS work (get the correct flexplate, make sure the CPS is indexed correctly).

ive been talking to him on FB he helped me pick out the right kit and i ordered it. I'm about to head over to O'riles to order the flexplate, as for the CPS do i need one specifically for the flexplate? or is the one on there now for the fly wheel the same?

also, any tips on a simple way to do the indicator lights for the t case? i have the NP242 so i was going to steel the indicator panel out of my cherokee that shows the full time. i assume when its in a gear it just triggers a switch that turns on a light under the appropriate panel. i was going to try and figure out a way to wire that, and i think thats the last part of the swap I'm unsure about