1/4 " eliptical setup what do you think??????

Ok I have completly wasted rear spring on my 88 MJ,just went on a ride with a couple people in Ocala and there was a CJ with this 1/4/" Eliptical set up running around.I have seen some great articulation out of that CJ and I can get my hands on one reasonable. Does anybody have any experience with that setup on an MJ and if so how did it work out!? I would make a four link with it and built a fuel tank for in the bed. :eek: any info would be great!

1/4 elliptical itself really only indicates the spring characterisitics. It's like saying "air shocks" or "coil-overs" and asking how they worked. The reality is that most of how well they work is dependant on other factors.

Basically, how you design and build your 4-link is going to matter more than it being 1/4 elliptical suspension. A LOT more. Do your homework and spend the money on the material and joints.

1/4 elliptical does offer advantages in that the springs have both a positive and negative rate. IE, they will fight drooping once they reach a certain point. This helps with stability to a degree. It is also cheap (comparitivly) in that a guy can cut down some F-250 front leaves to make it work.

Anyways, I've never run them. But I've seen them.

Thanks for the info ,I think I am going to try it ,and will make pictures and post .I have a way to set up a 4 link onto my 44 s so I will get that done firts and then put the springs on . :cheers:

I think when done right 1/4 elliptical rocks, but when not done right they suck @$$. It is just like any other properly designed 4 link except instead of using coilovers/airshocks/ captured coils, you are using the springs to hold the weight.