COMANCHE SPRING RATE

Good luck finding out. The FSM does not give spring rates, so any numbers you see posted are from unofficial sources and therefore suspect.

A friend of mine found "220" stamped on the rear leaves off a Cherokee that had a traler tow package, so we believe the heavy-duty XJ rears are 220 pound springs. HD fronts should be in the same range, so maybe around 200? If that's heavy duty, 150 to 160 sounds VERY light for standard duty, except maybe on a 2WD 4-cylinder.

I'm going to make a wild guess that MJ rear springs are around 220 to 250 pounds, but that's purely a guess. Best way to find out is to park on a level surface, measure the height to any convenient part of the body on both sides, then put exactly 100 pounds of anything (cement, planting soil, bird seed, anything in bags) directly over the rear axle on both sides. Measure again. If the drop is too small to measure accurately, make it 200 pounds on each side. That should drop you about an inch. Measure carefully, and then making it pounds per inch is a direct proportion.

Although the 150-160 lb spring rating I mentioned is 'unofficial' I do feel these ratings are pretty close :yes: .

I base this on our 88 XJ that has RE coils up front. They are rated at 175lbs (confirmed by RE) and are WAY stiffer than stock springs :brows: !

BTW, our XJ is 4WD with the 4.0L engine.