Guage cluster question

I have a 87 MJ pioneer, it has an almost full gauge cluster, everything but the tachometer. Can I just swap in a Full gauge cluster with a Tachometer? I have a 4.0 with an automatic, assuming the gauge cluster is from a cherokee with the same motor and trans should just splap right in yes?

yep. you probably have 1 idiot light in there somewheres, but if you have the oil pressure gauge and the temperature sensor guage (not idiot light), then it's a direct swap. same year and same motor to be safe, though it will work out of any year renix 4.0 (1990 and previous ...that means 1987)

Keep in mind there are 3 generations of cluster.

1 = 84 - 87

2 = 88 - 90

3 = 91 - 96

The first two both use a mechanical speedo and can be monkeyed around to interchange, but it's best to get one from the same year range as your vehicle. The electronic speedo version obviously won't work with a mechanical speedo drive, plus Chrysler reversed the polarity on the gauges so that's completely out of consideration as an interchange.

For the 84 - 87 tachometer, you MUST get one from the same engine as your vehicle, there is no adjustment for 4 or 6 cylinder. For the 88 - 90, there is a potentiometer on the back of the tach that you can use to set it for 4-cyl or 6-cyl.

Just Got back from the U-Pull-It yard.

Found my self a full gauge cluster off a 88 XJ wagoneer.

and the instrument cluster bezel,

also got some extra switchs from the dashboard,

Picked up the center console,

The passengers visor with lighted vanity mirror.

Lock cylinders for the doors and the Glovebox,,

bottom piece of the dashboard,(has all the lights and speakers too.).

a chrome handle for the drivers door.

I picked up a motorized seat bracket, for drivers side, just to see what modifications would be needed to actualy make it work.

I'd go put the gauges in now, but it's just starting to rain.

John

Yeah, I love Harrys I went to the one in Hazelton PA,

Didn't see any MJ's this time.

Plenty of XJs from all years though.

I looked at about 8 or 9 till I found the one with the full gauge package. It was a 1988 Cherokee Wagoneer. It had the same color interior as my MJ. :yes:

I didn't look much further then that. I pulled most everything I was after off that. I'm sure I'll discover more stuff I need or want as I do more work on this MJ. But between the floors/rocker panel, rear brakes, and now all of these goodies, I'll be busy for a bit.

Next time I go, I'm gonna leave earlier in the morning and scout out the place better.

The Wagoneer I found had the same color interior but it was missing the headliner. :cry:

Gonna have to keep my eye open for one, Mines got a big rip in it.

Also I've never even driven this MJ, well I did drive it arround a parking lot, but I've never had it out on the road. Nor have I realy looked under the hood too much yet, :ack:

well, I did manage to get the gauge cluster in tonight, the speedo cable was diffrent but I just swapped out the speedometer and should be good. did test it, to many wires disconnected under the dash at the moment.

Got my fingers crossed. 8)

If I were you (and this is what I plan to do, just because I am a wannabe redneck) I would buy the biggest tachometer you can find, preferably with a shift light, and stick it in your window. I have the same cluster as you do NOW. I originally tried to swap a full cluster in and that peice didnt work at all. When I swapped to the current one (the same one you have) everything worked. the full cluster that didnt work came of off (what I believe) a 2.8.... it didnt seem to want to work with my 4.0. My gas was always WAY WAY more than full, though occasionally it read correct, and neither my oil or temp gauges worked. They just sat in the Key off position. Anyway, if that helps, then great!

If I were you (and this is what I plan to do, just because I am a wannabe redneck) I would buy the biggest tachometer you can find, preferably with a shift light, and stick it in your window. I have the same cluster as you do NOW. I originally tried to swap a full cluster in and that peice didnt work at all. When I swapped to the current one (the same one you have) everything worked. the full cluster that didnt work came of off (what I believe) a 2.8.... it didnt seem to want to work with my 4.0. My gas was always WAY WAY more than full, though occasionally it read correct, and neither my oil or temp gauges worked. They just sat in the Key off position. Anyway, if that helps, then great!

Mitch, why didn't ya let me know there was a problem with the gauges? they were off of a 4.0 and worked on both my brother's 4.0 and my 2.8/3.8

Reconnected a few wires under the dash and tested it today, seems to work well. The Gas gauge doesn't work correctly.

Gas gauge reads a full tank, The old gas gauge read 3/4 tank.

I suspect there is something in the wiring at the fuel tank, float/sender that is the problem. I'll have to look into that further.