Leaf shackles and coils

I would like to know what you guys are running for leaf shackles. Right now I have 6 inch aftermarket shackles but want some in the 4 inch range because I would like to drop the rear an inch or so when I drop the front down from 8 inch coils to about 6 inches. I am very dissatisfied with my rustys 8 inch coils. They seem very progressive and do not flex near as good as my rear leafs do. The coils unloaded threw me upside down already once. I would like a little softer coil and a little lower. I am thinking 4.5 inch with a small spacer. 

So the question is, which shackles are available for the rear that are shorter than 6 inches and which coils are you guys running in the 6 inch of lift range? Also, do xj shackles work on mjs?

I ran Rubicon Express 4.5" coils plus a 1.75" spacer in the front, combined with stock springs and stock shackles SOA in the rear. Worked well with 33" tires, had to cut fenders to fit 35". When I moved up to 37" tires I also went to full width axles and less back spacing on the rims.tires sit completely outside the body with about an extra inch of lift in front from the spring buckets I used. Very stable with 85.5" track width.

That is just about exactly what I was thinking of setting up next. I currently have soa rear as well and 8 inch coils up front. I am also running full width axles and currently sit at 80 or 82 inches wide. I can't seem to remember which. It is very stable side Hilling but the front wants to unload any time I flex on something with only a front tire like a ramp or stacking on other jeep tires. That's what I'm trying to combat. 3 link might help as well.

Thanks a ton for the help.

Yes, I have radius arms up front. I do not want to run a stock xj shackle but for buying aftermarket there are a lot more options for the xj than the mj. I am thinking I will just the leave the rear alone though anyway now. I already have some Cali stance (rearend low and prerunner looking). I probably have a little leeway there.

Thanks for your help

Yes, I have radius arms up front. I do not want to run a stock xj shackle but for buying aftermarket there are a lot more options for the xj than the mj. I am thinking I will just the leave the rear alone though anyway now. I already have some Cali stance (rearend low and prerunner looking). I probably have a little leeway there.

Thanks for your help

if you want to run XJ aftermarket shackles, then yeah that would work.  I ran 2" lift Rough Country XJ shackles for years.   (6.5" Rustys coils front, SOA and lift shackles rear).  i read that as you wanted to use stock XJ shackles.  they would bolt in, but as i said they would be too short.  

How did you like the 6.5 Rustys coils? I am trying to decide between more Rustys stuff or going with Rubicon Express coils. I do love the rustys in high speed desert hoops and stuff like that but want something that will work better in the rocks. I have read that the rustys 6 inch coils are a bit softer than the 8.5 coils. How did you feel about them?

Thanks again

granted i have never ran a different coil, i have had them for 7-ish years and have no complaints.  i do mostly rocks.  no stuff to hit at speed in the midwest.  i have a custom 4 link up front and its always been really stable/predictable.  

i have never been impressed with a rig that runs radius arms.  the unloading characteristics are very unappealing.  

Okay, thank you. I feel the same about my radius arms. They do their job on flat ground and in rock gardens decently but as soon as I hit an up hill or downhill the radius arms just get too unpredictable. I think I will go ahead and work on a 3 link up front as well as dropping it down an inch or 2. I am also the only guy I know who has radius arms and I am the only one who complains at all and they are just running short arm Cherokees or leaf sprung yjs and toyotas.

Thanks everybody who participates on here.

PAC coils are progressive and nice. Consider also using limit straps, if you are not already.

The "unloading issue" you are having is more common with radium arms than other setups. But, it can be avoided by not letting the weight of the vehicle transfer too far from the axle. Running a suck-down winch, or a center mounted limit strap will help offset this.