LCA bolt size, 14x2x110mm for both sides?

Hello,

I found a post from about 8 years that says the LCA bolts are 14x2.0x110mm. Is this the same for both sides (frame and axle)? Is there clearance for them to be little longer if need be? Will I need nuts as well or do they tread into the ear/flange? 

I'm doing the WJ LCA swap this weekend and am trying to plan ahead. 

Thanks

You will need two M14x2.00x110 (p/n 34201334) and two M14x2.00 nuts (p/n 52001162AB) for each WJ LCA.

There's about at least an inch clearance on each side if you need to go with longer bolts if necessary.

There are several threads detailing the shortening of the WJ bushing sleeves (I left mine ~1/4" sticking out past the rubber bushings) and the trimming of the outer arm frames to allow full droop. I installed my WJ arms backwards (The oblong bushing on the frame side) so there was no trimming necessary.

Thanks, Don. I assume you have experienced no ill effects from having yours backward (or else you would have swapped them around)? I am all for not needing to trim, etc. so I guess I'll follow your lead and plan to put them on backward as well. 

No ill effects at all. After getting them mounted, It was immediately apparent how much more solid they felt and how it handled on turns. It's also a great time to check out your caster with an angle finder over the upper ball joint flat and remove / add shims behind each LCA to get the caster as close to +7.5* as possible.

When you say shims behind the LCA, do you mean as a spacer between the bushing and the mounting flange that it bolts to? I have a Chiltons that I plan to consult but I have not yet dug into the process of setting caster or camber. I had hoped I could just slap it all together with fresh ball joints and drive to a garage and get an alignment which would address such things. 

This thread HERE explains it all. The alignment shop will check caster, but whether they adjust it or not depends if they have the shims in stock or not. The shims fit between the LCA and the frame and the amount of shims sets the caster angle. I don't trust alignment shops at all and set caster myself before going to them as described in the link. You should have shims behind your LCAs now, so when you swap the new WJ ones in, be sure to swap the shims over too as they came out. If your caster angle was okay it will stay that way as the WJ LCAs are the same length as the stock LCAs. Also get an angle finder and check the angle to be sure. Easy to do and you'll have peace of mind.

So whats the trick to getting the lca holes lined up? Everything is on jack stands but it seems like the axle maybe rolled back, possibly when I turned the wheel when installing the springs. I've only got one side unhooked. It's acting like the lca is too long and won't clear the mounting brackets without rubbing, but I'm hoping that's all just because the caster is rolled back. Speaking of caster, I saw those shims you were talking about but I didn't have to remove them, they seemed to be bolted in so I left them alone.

Thanks. I just picked up a big pipe wrench. I tried to use a bottle jack (I have two) but they don't seem to work sideways, maybe they're low on fluid.

That is why I use the Jeep's mechanical bottle jack. Works upright, sideways and even upside down :)

It is also helpful if all of the control arm bolts are loose.

Thanks. I just picked up a big pipe wrench. I tried to use a bottle jack (I have two) but they don't seem to work sideways, maybe they're low on fluid.

That is why I use the Jeep's mechanical bottle jack. Works upright, sideways and even upside down :)

It is also helpful if all of the control arm bolts are loose.

When I get back out ill look for a mechanical jack or similar. Are you saying I should loosen the uca on the side I'm working or the driver side control arms as well?

I normally have the frame on jack stands, springs removed, the upper controls bolted in lightly, and then I use a floor to raise and lower the axle until the lower control arms find a nice spot that lets the bolts go through.

If the springs are in it will make everything much harder since they will forcefully rotate the axle some.

Well I finally got it wrestled in there using a mechanical jack. Unfortunately, the control arms hit the top of the axle bucket, even on level ground. The lcas are new moog models and have a welded seam along the top that sticks up a good bit. Maybe the OEM models don't have this seam? I'm not sure what I'm gonna do but its not driveable as is. Also the springs I put in (zj v8 upcountry model) only raised the side by about an inch vs the other side. I had read on naxja that these should give a full 2" over stock which what I based my shock selection on. As it is there's only about 4 inches sticking out of the cylinder for up travel. I may now bite the bullet and swap for ome as so many have said all along.

So I read more closely the many threads that spell out how I need to trim the bracket on the axle and the back of the lca itself. The fact that I beat everything in with rams and hammers may explain why I'm not seeing the lift I expected, the linkage is bottoming out on the arm.

Question: With everything back together, what do you think about me pulling the lca with the tire still on the ground (assuming I have room to maneuver the bolts)? Wouldn't this keep the axle to frame alignment in check for easier reinstall?