fuel pump nipple at bottom of pump

I'm getting ready to install a new fuel pump, Bosch, into my '92. The assembly is missing the nipple on the bottom of the fuel return line.

Would it be ok to install a piece of fuel hose on the return line?

See picture with piece of fuel hose next to line.

What is the purpose of the nipple? For resting on the bottom of the tank, reduce vibration and noise?

Thanks.   (especially to Knucklehead97 for tips on installation)

http://comancheclub.com/topic/45860-bosch-aftermarket-fuel-pump-installation/

It fits inside a hole inside the "inner tank" inside the tank.  Yours is probably stuck inside the hole (when you pulled the pump out, it stayed).  You can try to stab the end of the line into the nipple (very difficult), or fish your arm inside the tank and pull it back out.  You need fairly skinny arms though :)

Jeff

More than likely you scraped it off of the return line when you pulled the carrier out of the gas tank.  No problem, just put latex, not nitrile, gloves on and go fishing for it.  The tank isn't that deep and the nipple doesn't float.  It's probably somewhere around the sock recess at the bottom of the tank rignt under the tank access hole.  Go on, ask me why I know this.

Cheers, glad the write up helped. I recently pulled mine back out and found that the strainer fell off, so I added a pull tie to hold it on. And also, mine when pulling it out the second time the rubber piece was stuck in the hole it sits in. I guess I have pretty skinny arms because I easily reached it and pulled it out with the gas tank still mounted :D