Selectable vs TrueTrac's

Not too long ago, I swapped for another MJ and now have a D35/4.10 with a Detroit. I have been scouting a stronger axle and believe that I now have located a D44 and, having saved just enough for the redo. I really am not getting offroad much, so that is the thought on the TrueTracs front and rear. But I suddenly thought "a rear selectable may be a better choice" (keeping the front as is).

This is New England and winters are a consideration (the Detroit, for the street, is already creating issues). Anyone run TT,s front and rear?

Additionally, I am running 31's and like that size but, wonder if a little deeper to 4.56 would be worth the gain (if I do both front and rear the cost would be easier when doing the TT's.

Essentilly, 4.10 with rear selectable, or 4.56 with TT's f & r.

Any opinions?? Thanks for the sounding board.

Truetracs kick @$$, IMHO. No, they aren't a full locker. But you won't know they're there on the street, unless you need more traction.

I'd have no issue streeting a truck with them in the front and rear... In any condition.

With them front and rear, you'll have far more traction than just a selectable in the rear.

Tru-tracks are an EXCELLENT choice!!!

My wifes WJ has LS diffs at both ends and its great in snow/wet on the street here in New England.

If you have the coin to spend a selectable out back is a strong option. but if this is a street truck. The Tru-Tracks will do you just fine. But like all LS are defeated if you put a tire in the air or sit it on ice....all the power will go to that wheel. With a selectable in the rear and a LS in the front if you come across that situation just lock the rear and go.

Its all gonna depend on what you want to spend and what your gonna do with it.

I agree with Dirty these tru-tracks are the best LS out there. NO special lubes required, NO clutches to wear out. Expensive for a LS but well worth it IMHO.

I also came very close to this exact set up. I eventually decided on a ECTED out back and a aussie in the front later on if required. (I have one on a shelf)

CW

This is New England and winters are a consideration (the Detroit, for the street, is already creating issues). Anyone run TT,s front and rear?

Additionally, I am running 31's and like that size but, wonder if a little deeper to 4.56 would be worth the gain (if I do both front and rear the cost would be easier when doing the TT's.

Essentilly, 4.10 with rear selectable, or 4.56 with TT's f & r.

Any opinions?? Thanks for the sounding board.

I don't run TrueTracs front and rear, but I run a TrueTrac in the rear and I live in New England. My MJ with the TrueTrac alternates with my XJ with TracLok for daily driver duty, and the MJ mostly wins weekend duty because in my town we take our own trash to the transfer station unless you can afford a commercial hauler. (I can't)

I don't think I ever used 4WD this past winter. The TrueTrac with BFG ATs pulled me through anything I encountered. And the nice thing about a TrueTrac in front is that, if you don't engage 4WD, the TrueTrac never engages so it's completely transparent.

I think you could be very happy with a TrueTrac living back there.

Thanks for the help. I think the TT's win for my use. Now to see if I can pull off the swap. Come winter I will be looking for some new found advantages.

Although the detroit is awsume in the dirt, I am sure it would have been tuff for the white stuff.