Gas tank replacement - need part recommendations/sourcing

Replacing my tank (23.5).  Looking on the internet I see prices from $89 up to $280.  Anyone have any brands that have worked for you or brands to avoid?  Mainly worried about rust.

Also, already pulled the old tank, had to cut the Fuel Tank Filler Vent hose.  Crown says that their Cherokee Vent hose (52000623) fits the Comanche - pics don't appear the same - anyone have experience with this or can recommend a substitute? 

Bent up one of the hanger bolts (connects strap to the frame) - is this a standard part or unique to our trucks?  

Any tips for reinstalling?  The only complicated part I foresee is the fuel filler and vent hoses - assume they should be assembled to the tank first and then connected to the fill neck during install?

ROCKAUTO.COM  ( I'm not the only one.....right?)

Tanks, Straps,  I THOUGHT they had the J-Bolts but not listed anymore. Thinking the XJ ones would work. But don't quote me on that. 

Also the fill & vent hoses.... I thought I had replaced....but not in my parts folders so....maybe I'm just mistaken. 

You are correct on your thoughts about assembly.  Just use a little MMO as your lube on the hoses. 

Appreciate the feedback.  Whats MMO short for?  

I'm on a bit of a timeline, need the truck next weekend so I ordered the parts last night, should get them sometime next week:

Tank and straps from Rock Auto

Fuel Fill hoses and rollover valve grommets from EBay

Rollover valves from Quadratec

No luck on the J Bolts - will try to salvage existing or hit the junkyards.  XJ bolts appear longer, MJ is 4.5", could always cut and thread the XJ or find something similar

Thanks for the feedback - I was out of town this weekend.  

Received most of what I ordered - will break it into a couple posts:

Gas Tank and Straps from Rock Auto - shipped together - shipping was $13, received within 48 hours (Chicago to Detroit)

Gas tank - Spectra Premium JP4B (23.5 gal).  Came with lock ring and seal.  Looks nice but there is no bracket in the pan to support the pump isolator.  Company says "Our JP4B is for your application and has been bench test  and our design do not include that bracket".  Guess I'll use it, everything lines up the same, prefer the support of the bracket, will see if this affects the life of the pump.

Straps - Spectra ST117 (3 straps for LWB 23.5 gal).  Shipped with the tank.  The bag they came in was ripped open and one of the straps is missing.  Submitted a complaint online and then called - great customer service, new set is on the way and provided me a return label.  Parts look like good quality, have the studs for the plastic tank protectors.

The studs on the fuel tank straps take M6x1.0 nuts.  Same size for the original and the Spectra straps. 

Rollover Valves - Manufacturer Part # J5360058, Quadratec part # 51315 9001- best price was from Quadratec.  $9.23 each plus $5 shipping.  Parts look ok, look a little cheaper than the originals.  

Rollover valve grommets - 52018823 - Mopar_Direct_Parts (EBay) - $12 each, free shipping.  parts are genuine Mopar, fits tight in the tank, valves are tight in grommet (haven't installed tank yet - assuming they're good)

Hose clamps - MP4214 - MasterPro Emergency Hose clamp assortment (8 clamps total).  bought at O'reillys, $4.  The kit matched what I needed:  2 for fuel fill, 2 for vent hose, and 4 small ones: 2 for the sending unit and maybe 2 for the evap lines (rollover valves), although I'm not sure those will work.   

Fuel Fill Hose and Vent Hose - Crown automotive says that their part 52000623 is compatible with all years of Comanches.  This kit is not a direct replacement for what is on my truck (91 4.0 LWB),  the overall lengths are much longer and the molded portions don't line up.  Will experiment tomorrow, might see if these can be cut down and route ok, may just use universal hose from the auto parts store.  We'll see.  

I have not had good luck with Crown parts.  Will avoid in the future.   

Edit - the molded portions can be made to line up for the vent hose.  Also, my problem with Crown is with their XJ-MJ part compatibility info.  They assume more compatibility between XJ and MJ than there actually is (rule-of-thumb:  always question XJ-MJ compatibility for any part rear of the front doors) 

Edited by RochesterMJ

Fuel Tank Mounting Strap studs (J-Bolts).

Found a direct replacement made by Goodmark, part number 2111-749-681.  MJ is not listed as a compatible vehicle but these are the same as what is on my truck.

Sold by several companies, I bought mine through Summit Racing.  $4.97 each, $6 shipping, shipped super fast.  They don't come with a nut, nut size is M10 x 1.5.

• 1 month later...

Finished this project a while back.  Could not find fuel filler or vent hose (MJ specific or buy-by-the-foot) around here: O'reilly's, Autozone, Napa, Home Depot, ACE, Dealer.  Maybe a marine parts store or industrial supply would have it?  Ended up using the Crown Vent hose after all, there is a section of it that can be made to line up with the MJ's hose, need to cut it to size and bend it (rubber so no big deal)

Reused my original fill hose so I can't comment on if the Crown fill hose could be manipulated to work (IIRC there's a molded corner at the tank end that f's it up) 

Holding the filler neck end.   

reasonable pressure moves the hose to line up to meet the filler neck.  If you line it up like this there is just enough MJ-useable length to route around the frame rail and end with a straight run into the tank.  Final install on the vehicle was no problem.