96 XJ swap.........suggestions..

Ok, made a deal on a 96 Jeep Cherokee Country, going to pick it up on Mon. Here is what I plan to swap.

Doors (for pwr options)

Seats

Console

Brake Booster

Front Axle

Cruise Control (if the 96 has it on the colum and will swap into my colum, keeping the colum shift on my MJ)

What else can I swap???

Not sure what all options it has, I will check it out when I pick it up. I don't think it has skids or an overhead console, will double check on Mon. I already have a np242 in the garage to install, and this Jeep has a 231.

I plan to part the rest to recoup my money and fund the MJ :cheers:

Everything you plan to swap will require customization.

The door latches will be different, and at a different height (I think. I'm pretty sure that change was made in '95 or '96).

The steering column in the '96 will be a Chrysler, with an airbag. Totally different from your MJ, and will NOT be easily adapted to a clumn shift (if it can be adapted at all, which I sort of doubt).

The seats will be completely different, because they redesigned the floor pan and seat mounts in the XJ as of '95.

Other than that, you're on a roll ...

If you're going to do it, I'd go ahead and just swap the whole harness. Also if you're going to do the column it will be easiest to remove the dash from both vehicles and swap column support brackets, because the Chrysler column has a different mounting system. The doors do have the same latch system though, that didn't change until 97.

Thanks guys, I do know the doors are a direct swap, no worries there. As for the seats, I will use the MJ Bench brackets, just mount the XJ buckets on it. I'm not swapping the steering colum, just the cruise switch, should be the same, not sure though. If not I will get an older cruise switch, just use the servo out of this one. I doubt I can make the new Door harnes work as a plug and play in with the older wiring. I will just rewire the doors, did that before its not to hard. Easier than swapping the whole harness.

Thanks guys, I do know the doors are a direct swap, no worries there. As for the seats, I will use the MJ Bench brackets, just mount the XJ buckets on it. I'm not swapping the steering colum, just the cruise switch, should be the same, not sure though. If not I will get an older cruise switch, just use the servo out of this one. I doubt I can make the new Door harnes work as a plug and play in with the older wiring. I will just rewire the doors, did that before its not to hard. Easier than swapping the whole harness.

no no no, you mis-understand. the 96 style xj's floor pan changed, and along with it the ENTIRE seat system. the comanche bench brackets won't work AT ALL. you'd have to make completely custom mounting tabs either way you'd mount it (be it on comanche bolts or making new bolt mount spots).

cruse switch won't mount into the gm steering wheel, but seeing as that switch is on the steering wheel you could actually pull all the wires for it and mount it on your dash or something in the MJ. you just won't be able to put it on your column. the 96 steering wheel won't mount to the gm style column either....

in 95 the cherokee became a whole different animal

no no no, you mis-understand. the 96 style xj's floor pan changed, and along with it the ENTIRE seat system. the comanche bench brackets won't work AT ALL. you'd have to make completely custom mounting tabs either way you'd mount it (be it on comanche bolts or making new bolt mount spots).

cruse switch won't mount into the gm steering wheel, but seeing as that switch is on the steering wheel you could actually pull all the wires for it and mount it on your dash or something in the MJ. you just won't be able to put it on your column. the 96 steering wheel won't mount to the gm style column either....

in 95 the cherokee became a whole different animal

Ok, I understand now. I'll get the seats to fit somehow, via fab or a mess of spacers ;) The cruise switch isnt a big deal, I can use an older one.