Help w/ wireing

Started to put the wiring harness in for the 4.0 :mad: Our MJ is a 89 Renex and the new wiring harness is from a post 91 :nuts:

Have a couple items that are different and not sure what / where they go.

On the old system the ECU plug went her. But where / what do I do with the 2 plugs here? ( The green one and small black one in my hand)

2972021860066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

The old system did not even have a hole in the firewall for this plug. what / where do I run the plugs here and what is the relay for?

2991492480066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

2274399490066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks

I honestly don't know which plug that green one is, but it looks like the transmission computer plug. The TCU only has 2 rows of plugs, not 4 like that plug.

My first thought was the Diagnostic Link Connector as I do not see anything else that looks like it. But then the black plug has me lost :nuts: :nuts:

I did not get a transmission computer, did the 91's come with it???

The one that you said there isn't even a hole in the firewall for...is that by the blower motor/heater box? Did you get the harness from a 97+?

Not sure what year the harness is from, but the plug / wires are on the drivers side and the relay is on about 3' of wire from the rubber plug. Also if this helps the ECM is located on the front drivers side :eek:

you mean enter the cab?

that's for the trans computer. there are two of them...one under the dash on the right side (it mounts onto the kneeboard of the dash panel), and one on the front left inner fender-well.

I believe that I have that trans. computer laying around somewhere, so I will go look here in a bit and post up a pic of the connector. idk how good it is, but if you need it you can have it for $5 plus shipping (less than 15 all-told)

Yes cab :oops:

I have the ECM for the front left inner fender-well. Just need the one for inside. The green plug was located on the harness to enter on the right side. Could the black wire with it be for the trans power / comfort switch? If so do I need to get it?

I did find that the wire with relay in the other group was something aftermarket and I pulled it. Just need to find what the other ones go to :cry:

Send the photos, $5 + shipping sounds good :D

Charles

this is certainly the piece. sorry, i didn't snap a side-view. no clue what the black connector does.

why didn't yours have this? it should be in the xj you are using. or in the pile of parts you have removed from it...

Yes,

It looks like what I need. Let me know shipping to 43102 and I will send the $$ Friday when I get paid.

"why didn't yours have this? it should be in the xj you are using. or in the pile of parts you have removed from it..."

Did not even think about it :oops: thought it just had the one computer.

We did not use a doner for this project. But we are looking at an XJ right now but it's going to be dads wheel toy :D Just have to sale one of my RC helis or plane so I can get it ;)

Cool, I called it.

I don't have a transmission computer right now. I just use some switches that controll all the gears, and the torque converter.

Hopefully everything works out with the swap Charles!!

Hopefully everything works out with the swap Charles!!

Thanks,

I sure hope so ;) Going to drop the engine & drive line in after work today :D

Did see that the 2 blade switch on the PS pump / line did not have any plugs that would plug into it on the harness :cry: Not sure if they changed the switch from 89 to 91?

It changes the shift points in the AW4 tranny. If you are running the AW4 then you need it. Unless you are going to run another form of shift package, like the eightball. Otherwise you need the switch and the controller and the wiring harness.

Wiring problems we found this weekend.

The PS sensor has blades but the only plug in that area is for pins. Not sure if it's for the PS or something else.

2471226210066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

On the right side I have this little plug I think has something to do with the A/C.

2549392360066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

Also have this wire and have no ideal where it goes.

2726202300066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

2244253040066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

Have this plug.

2986548170066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

2972194020066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

Thought it went here, but the plug is different.

2093014520066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is a plug ext that will fit the plug above and goes from a 4 pin plug to a 2 pin plug, but not sure what it fits into. Will not fit into the coil :nuts:

2925274650066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

2115055910066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

2424600860066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

Any ideals on what they go into? Also have not found any plug that is flat on one side that will fit into the coil :nuts:

ummm...charles, did you even look at the layout from when it was in the other truck? no offence whatsoever, but the problems you are experiencing are easy to solve if you actually look before you leap so to speak.

the one for the p/s pump doesn't need to be hooked up. as a matter of fact, you shouldn't be using the old 4 cylinder p/s lines with the new 4.0 pump, you should have the 4.0 p/s lines. they're both high pressure but the 4.0 won't have the connector. also, yours appears to be leaking already

ummm...charles, did you even look at the layout from when it was in the other truck? no offence whatsoever, but the problems you are experiencing are easy to solve if you actually look before you leap so to speak.

the one for the p/s pump doesn't need to be hooked up. as a matter of fact, you shouldn't be using the old 4 cylinder p/s lines with the new 4.0 pump, you should have the 4.0 p/s lines. they're both high pressure but the 4.0 won't have the connector. also, yours appears to be leaking already

Yes I did look at the harness when I got it, it was on the skid with the engine and trans, could not fit the rest of the XJ on the skid :D

The P/S pump you see is the old 2.5 pump that got bolted on the 4.0. No it's not leaking, just took the P/S tank off and got fluid everywhere ;)