Speedometer cable question

I know this has been done to death, and I have searched to my limit.

I have an 89 Comanche Auto 4.0L short bed that was 2wd the previous owner converted to 4wd.  My understanding is you need a longer speedo cable (this one isnt hooked up I assume due to being too short, and appears damaged anyway at the connector)

My question is, what one am I buying to replace this cable specifically?  I took a picture of the connector at the cluster and none of them on Rock Auto appear to be the same style. (unless it is this one, but I can't tell: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4218006&cc=1181720&jnid=498&jpid=2 ) 

Thanks guys

I know this has been done to death, and I have searched to my limit.

I have an 89 Comanche Auto 4.0L short bed that was 2wd the previous owner converted to 4wd.  My understanding is you need a longer speedo cable (this one isnt hooked up I assume due to being too short, and appears damaged anyway at the connector)

My question is, what one am I buying to replace this cable specifically?  I took a picture of the connector at the cluster and none of them on Rock Auto appear to be the same style.

Thanks guys

That photo looks like the speedo head end of the cable with the cable broken off. Starting in either mid-87 or 88, Jeep changed from a speedo cable that screwed onto the head in conventional fashion to one that snapped on. That white part is the nylon snap fitting. Squeeze the outer ring at the end closest to the speedo head and it pops right off.

A speedo cable for a 1988 thru 1990 Cherokee with 4WD should be what you're looking for.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...