What does everyone think about putting a full frame under a comanche. I have a 87 comanche that the frame is rotten and a 74 cherokee frame and powertrain(AMC 304, turbo 400, dana 20, and dana 44's). This was put together fast by a guy because the cherokee body was rotten and he needed a plow truck for at home. I have disassembled it and I am in the process of putting it together somewhat right (if there is a right). Also, right now it is sitting on 38.5X15x15 gumbo mudders that are worn out. will upload pics once i take some. Just wanted some input.

I had considered this...you can do it but the cherokee frame will either need to be welded to the mj body and used as a replacement unibody, or you bolt the manche with the frame to the cherokee frame.

either way you gotta keep the body rigidity so it won't flex funny, and will offer at least SOME protection if you go arse over head

wheelbase I'm not worried about, as i have already stretch the cherokee wheelbase to match the comanche's and have completely boxed the frame. The plan is to build mounts off of the comanche unibody frame and attach it to the cherokee frame just as body mounts are like on any other full frame vehicle.

That comanche pic on the frame is a huge hack job, nasty, nasty. When I got my mj, the guy who had originally put the body on the frame had sat the mj right on top of the cherokee frame and welded it there. My plan is to keep it as close to the frame as possible.

That comanche pic on the frame is a huge hack job, nasty, nasty. When I got my mj, the guy who had originally put the body on the frame had sat the mj right on top of the cherokee frame and welded it there. My plan is to keep it as close to the frame as possible.

i hope you meant the red one...jb's doing a GREAT job lowriding that comanche...

• 2 months later...

My"hack job" is well underway. Put all new gaskets in the 304, performed a SOA conversion on the front diff, and installed an electric fan. Should have it running this weekend. I am also building a bumper kinda like a ARB Bull Bar for it, Hopefully it works out.