help! renix hates me

so i went boggin in a corn field then 3 days later stopped to get gas, turned it back on and it backfires, doesnt idle and shakes alot, when i give it gas it gasps for air and when i let off the gas it backfires and dies.... ideas? ive searched but I'm retarded when it comes to that stuff.

88 4.0 253k... I'm guessing idle air controller or tps? not too literate when it comes to engines.

I would hesitate before pressure washing the engine bay. There are a LOT of things in there that do not like to get wet and even more things that don't like the force of the watter hitting them. Plenty of people have caused headaches by spraying the wrong thing (me included).

I'd hate to say it, but with 253K on the engine........I would check out the timing chain.

Timing chains jump a tooth when there getting ready to go, when you shut the engine off, that's when they jump. The stoping of the engine "snaps" the chain. With the back firing and trying to suck air, and no power, it would be a good idea to check it out.

Any timing chain I lost was from turning off the engine, and then re-start caused the same problems your having.