Megatron: 2.5 XJ build

Hello all.

It just so happens that my brother caught the Jeep bug again. After some consideration, he decided he wanted to build sonething a bit milder than hid past Jeeps. He wanted something easy to drive, that gets good mileage, and that hasn't had the crap hammered out of it. He mostly wants it for foul weather DD duties, mild off roading, and camping/exploring. With this in mind, we started looking around locally for the proverbial "old man" Jeep. Something that has been taken care of (or at leaat not abused), isn't too expensive to buy or own, and has a decent amount of space. In out area, this means either a clean XJ or ZJ. We found this on CL:

It's a 2 door (score!) 95 XJ with a 2.5 and a 5 speed. It has a HPD30 and a 35. Apparently, the old guy who owned it was a fan of the Transformers AND lowriders. The wire wheels and the "Megatron" decals written in Old English lettering attest to that.

It rode very well, is reasonably straight, has a pretty clean interior, and everything works as it should. The price was right, so why not? We took it home.

First things first.

We changed the fluids, took off most of the MANY decals, and put it on my old MJ take offs along with a new set of LT235/75R15 Hercules Terra Trac RS tires. It's looking more like a Jeep, has a definite low profile to it (which my brother likes)and actually performs pretty well for what it is.

Next up, suspension refresh/mods and continued elimination of decals/ghetto bling. Stay tuned!

Some progress:

More decals/adhesive taken off as well as the removal of some questionable wiring and lights installed by the PO.

Mandatory engine pic:

Interior:

Going to have to check ALL electrical connections:

Looking a bit rough:

Fusion to the Rescue!:

Some progress:

Much better: