AX-5 external clutch slave replacment made easy

I got tired of everyday filling my clutch resivwar in the morning and pumping the clutch till It would work and decided I would finally replace the clutch slave!

Tools Needed:

Brake line wrenches

Junk 1/2 inch wrench

Blow tourch

Hammer

Silicone gasket maker

10mm wrench (for bleeder valve)

Channel locks (pesky brale line fittings)

DOT 3 brake fluid

When I first looked at it it looked impossible to get to, there was a bolt with limited access on top of the slave! 978508bd56a29bc80efb886e2a965b2c.jpg

The 2 nuts holding the slave in are 1/2 bolts. On the top ,there is no way you could fit a socket on there; so I made my own tool out of an old 1/2 wrench! This custom tool is KEY to easy instillation and removal!f5336035cfad17206f4c11ee13c89d3c.jpg

I heated it up with a tourch and bent it at about a 45* angle. You wouldnt believe how easy this made the job! It took about an hour.

Next I removed the clutch slave from the transmission. ec1abf36f47f342566a2ad6232c1576b.jpge8d8a6a1ac15a4dd00858b0dc300a365.jpg look how mangled it was! 99212a96fee4a8a173640e2ea78ce956.jpgI put that nasty thing where it belongs in the trash! :)

Next I took off the spacer and put silicone seal on it and put it on the new clutch slave. Then I reconnected the lines to the new clutch slave and connected it to the transmission70a9edfefd0520c895a91b5f2c749fa4.jpg TAKE NOTE: losen the bleeder valve on the new slave before mounting it! Found out this the hard way! 64530a6fa00298efe096f046115ae94e.jpg there it is all hooked up!

Next you need to bleed the slave just like you would do a brake system and tighten the bleeder valve on the Slave and your done! The tool I used made this process much easier!:) I hope this helped anyone that was struggelig with that pesky upper bolt!

• 1 month later...

hey man, thanks for the write up! I'm going to take your advice.

Where did you disconnect the line to remove it? I see you took the slave out with a bunch of line. did you disconnect it from the master? or one of the joints in the middle?

hey man, thanks for the write up! I'm going to take your advice.

Where did you disconnect the line to remove it? I see you took the slave out with a bunch of line. did you disconnect it from the master? or one of the joints in the middle?

I disconnected it from one of the joints in the middle! It made it a lot easier.

• 5 years later...
10 minutes ago, freedom016 said:

Hi, 

Any chance you can re-load your photos please?   The photos don't appear. 

Sounds really useful. 

I have a similar problem. 

try sending a private message. :L:   he may not have his settings checked for an email from post responses.