Autox Miata

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed they do sir. 

I bet you've never machined brake rotors to within a few thousandths of the limit.  Next up on this car is a lightweight alternator pulley, some machining on the crank pulley and some seats.  The minimum seat weight is 25lbs but the stockers weigh in around 34 each so there is weight to be had there in addition to the improvement in bolstering and position.

• 2 weeks later...

Got creative with a few areas and dropped another 3lbs this week. Still looking for a custom alternator pulley but the head may come off for a performance oriented rebuild along with water pump, seals and timing belt.

What I really need is more seat time but lately I've been unable to squeeze in more than one autox a month.

• 1 month later...

That is a very clean smurf you have there. Traded my 91 for my Comanche, but would love to get back in another. You can't beat a Miata for auto crossing they are great on the track even in stock form. Nice Build very tasteful and functional modifications, I bet its a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

I bet you've never machined brake rotors to within a few thousandths of the limit.

I've got a couple years FSAE experience. You'd be surprised at some of the things I've done in the name of weight savings. Like pulling a couple individual cells out of the battery to use, ditching the heavy plastic case and extra cells. Or using cheap switchgear, injectors, basically anything plastic, because the lesser grades of plastic weigh less.

• 2 months later...

Nice! I've had three Miatas myself, all red 1.6 NAs. I autocrossed a lot myself, both in MA (Renegade Miata and Boston BMW) and with the Cumberland Motor Club in Maine. These days I have a Subaru BRZ, and while I haven't autocrossed much I did a few track events at Thompson and Palmer last year. It's a lot of fun, but I know that all real sports cars have pop-up headlights.