Comanche Ressurection

Well, after 2 years of neglect, I got the Comanche going (see "Its Alive!" thread). The problem was a burnt piston and I just didn't get around to it 'til recently.

Now I have it here at home (it was 60 miles away at a friend's farm) and I'm beginning work on the rear brakes. The lines are rusted and rotted. I got the proportioning valve off the rear, the three-way block, the hose to the axle and the line over the axle to the right side wheel cylinder. Very little actually came apart, most of it broke off. I'll begin the replacement tomorrow.

So, after that, I pulled the truck around front (to get it out of the alley) and locked it up for the night. Well, I decided to take it down the street a few blocks to get a soda from the machine and thats when I discovered what that key I left on the console was for. I had left the keys loose in the consile in case my friend needed to move the truck while it was at his place. Its been so long now that I didn't remember the ignition and doors used two different keys. I remember now.... :roll: :mad:

I'm thinking I'll be replacing the wing window tomorrow as well when I remember an extra set of keys hanging by the back door. Sure enough, its an extra Comanche set. Dodged a bullet there. 8)

Then on the way down the street, I notice the headlights seem a bit dim. The alternator isn't alternating. :cry:

While I'm here, where is the oil fill plug on an AX15? How do you get to it? Turkey baster? ATF? Oil?

While I'm here, where is the oil fill plug on an AX15? How do you get to it? Turkey baster? ATF? Oil?

Fill plug is on the side of the case, I think (although I'm guessing, since I have the Peugeot tranny in most of my heaps). If you are asking what to run in the AX-15 for lube, it's 80W90 gear oil but be sure you get it rated as GL-3. Most of what you find is GL-5. The GL-5 has more sulpher, and the sulpher eats the brass (bronze?) synchronizer rings.

MJColton, yes I am. I am Rande over there. Been there for a looooong time.

JeepcoMJ, thats great. I was thinking about that method after I posted the original messege. I have a T5 in my old Mustang and they can filled that way also. I should have thought of that myself. Getting old, the mind goes....

I love it when I'm doin tranny work and start bringin tranny fluid to the interior of my truck and pouring it out...the people who can't see it that are there are laughin their a$$es off cause they think i'm pourin it all over the place.

If you do it through the fill plug, you have to use a nipple and a small 1 quart container. while that's the right way and most definitely the way to tell if it's full as can be, it's just plain easier to do it otherwise...

I always remove the fill plug and then remove the shifter handle, pour from the top, and have someone spot me on the bottom with a pan...it starts leaking out of the fill plug hole and you know you're done jamminz.gif