WTB: IL: Rebuildable AX-15 for '90 4x4 4.0

amsuco

I'm getting ready to pull the 231 and AX-15 off my '90 Comanche to deal with a leaking internal slave cylinder.  I'm converting it to an external slave and replacing the clutch while I'm in there.  Those parts are already bought.  But I'm also toying with the idea of rebuilding my tranny and adding an aftermarket shifter.  There are no obvious problems with my tranny though, the lever movement just feels sloppy.  It seems a shame to tear into a perfectly good tranny, so I thought I'd look around and see if I could find an AX-15 that was a good candidate for a rebuild at a reasonable cost.  Biting off this much extra work may not seem too bright, but I never said that I was smart!  My thinking is that by doing it this way though, if I screw up the rebuild I can always just shove my unmolested tranny back into place.  (It's good to have a "plan b".)

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to add to this thread that xjrev10 turned out to be a great person to deal with.  I'm very happy with my purchase.  We only had one glitch, and that was my fault.  I'll tell the story in hopes that it might help out someone else.  When we were corresponding  back and forth, sometimes I would just hit the "reply" option in my regular email instead of coming back here to do a "PM".  It turns out that some of my emails neither arrived nor bounced back to me.  They must still be out there in limbo somewhere.  So the lesson to take away is this:  Always use the PM feature here on comancheclub to correspond with other members.

Ron