What are the advantages to 1 ton steering?

Its purely Strength and Yes you can always assemble your own kit, as for what parts to use well that becomes your choice

of vehicle you want to use them from and you will still have to fabricate the actual tie rod and Drag link as I doubt there is a 1 ton OE out there with the same width...

If you just want beefier, I did the V8 ZJ upgrade for under $70. The drag link is the same size and strength but the ball joint on it is a little different, so I just got the XJ one to save on shipping but the tie rod across the axle is solid vs the piece of tin that came stock on every other coil spring Jeep before 99. The short tie rod end at the pitman arm is the same as the left wheel on the ZJ and a little beefier than the one at the left wheel on the XJ IMO. Quick Steer is the same as Duralast, I don't anticipate any issues with these Moog-made parts.

bba5dccd274dbe36ec2e377a61a567ee.jpg

If you just want beefier, I did the V8 ZJ upgrade for under $70. The drag link is the same size and strength but the ball joint on it is a little different, so I just got the XJ one to save on shipping but the tie rod across the axle is solid vs the piece of tin that came stock on every other coil spring Jeep before 99. The short tie rod end at the pitman arm is the same as the left wheel on the ZJ and a little beefier than the one at the left wheel on the XJ IMO. Quick Steer is the same as Duralast, I don't anticipate any issues with these Moog-made parts.

bba5dccd274dbe36ec2e377a61a567ee.jpg

I'm gonna look into it, sounds just as good and cheaper!

For anything below hardcore off roading, it's good. Minimum you need one of each of the items listed under the Grand Cherokee there to upgrade the tie rod across the axle, but it was way too cheap to not get the whole deal IMO. Those are all Moog part numbers if you like the Moog name better than Quick Steer. You can get the same kind of deal price wise on ebay if Rock Auto has changed their deals, search DS1312 and you'll see kits that have everything in one box.