ANOTHER coolant thread... boiling

Do I burp via the temp sensor with it running?

Absolutely not. Use the temp sensor hole for venting the back of the block when filling. Once that's done (cold), replace the sensor and fill the bottle to the halfway mark (the notch in the post). Start the engine, leave the cap off the bottle, let it idle until it starts to bubble. Then shut it off. CAUTION! After you shut it off, the bottle will initially regurgitate hot coolant -- be careful you don't get scaled. Watch the bottle from a safe distance. After a couple/few minutes, you'll see the fluid level suddenly start to be sucked down. As that happens, add more coolant to replace the air that has been displaced.

I usually have to do that two or three cycles before the system is properly bled.

i believe that the bottle i used was from a mid-90's Dodge, or maybe a Plymouth.  It was mounted on the firewall in the same location as the original Jeep bottle. it has a different shape than the OEM bottle, but if you remove the OEM bottle and the bracket that it mounts to, you only have to drill 2 holes in the firewall for the screws that mount the Dodge bottle.  The cap that goes on the Dodge bottle is a real live locking radiator cap instead of a screw on cap.  If i remember, i had to do some finagaling to get the OEM hoses to fit the new bottle.  I have been running the Dodge bottle for 6 or 7 years with no problems......

It is a very simple install.  I like the heavy gauge nylon of the Dodge bottle, the locking radiator cap, and the fact that it also has an overflow hose....

If i remember, i had to do some finagaling to get the OEM hoses to fit the new bottle. I have been running the Dodge bottle for 6 or 7 years with no problems....

That could be the first time I ever saw the word "finagling" actually spelled.

If it has an overflow hose how does it hold pressure?

If i remember, i had to do some finagaling to get the OEM hoses to fit the new bottle. I have been running the Dodge bottle for 6 or 7 years with no problems....

That could be the first time I ever saw the word "finagling" actually spelled.

If it has an overflow hose how does it hold pressure?

The same way a radiator does -- with a pressure cap. The cap has a heavy spring to resist pressure, but when the pressure reaches the rated point the cap allows coolant to escape into the catch bottle. The cap also has a return check valve with a very WEAK spring, so as the system cools and the coolant contracts, it can suck the coolant back out of the catch bottle.

Which essentially turns a closed system into an open system. The Moroso aluminum bottle I put in my '88 XJ works the same way.