Relatively cheap tie rod upgrade

It turns out that on my first wheeling trip with the MJ I slightly bent the tie rod adjusting sleeve. This, along with pulling the threads out of the tie rod adjusting sleeve, is a very common problem as the factory really cheaped out on the design of the long hollow adjusting sleeve and two short tie rod ends especially considering the fairly exposed location of this part.

One solution is a heavy duty steering kit. Many companies offer some version of this but they can be expensive. Some of these also flip the TRE's on top of the knuckle. These require varying degrees of modification to install. For some these kits may be the way to go but again they can be pricey and/or time consuming to install. Here is one option for $480.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-Steering/Currectlync-Heavy-Duty-Tie-Rod-System.aspx?t_c=65&t_s=430&t_pt=6195&t_pn=curce-9701&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwgMieBRCB3bqB94e9lD4SJABW3sTNGb9ew9C41ITXormQ6HKmj9A9-ir3KBmsrCJHfC4T6BoCZkjw_wcB . But 99% of the time the drag link is not an issue and the stock piece is already a solid bar like what is included in most of the kits. Really only the tie rid assembly is different unless you do the fab work to flip the TRE's.

To just replace the weak hollow assembly here is an option:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/omix-ada-tie-rod-long-kit-zj-v8-18054.09/10186043-P . It is the factory set up from a Grand Cherokee ZJ with a V8 . This gets you the heavy duty solid bar tie rod assembly with the much stronger adjusting sleeve. Using Advance Auto's ever-present online discounts and free shipping this kit this kit cost me $96.04 shipped. It includes everything that you need and is 100% bolt-on. Just remember to do your tape measure alignment to set the tow when you are done. This was a 15 minute job.

Thanks to 88whitemanche for providing some additional pics. I suck at both remembering to take the pics and then my cell takes poor pics anyway.

Here is a comparison of the stock pieces and the V8 ZJ pieces and the stockers:

And here is a better shot of the new pieces installed:

I had gotten an RC tie rod upgrade, and I was more than impressed with it, except for one aspect: It was a good few inches shorter than the stock tie rod, and for absolutely no reason. Lifting your vehicle doesn't bring the TREs together, why shorten the bar made specifically for XJ, MJ and TJ? There was about a quarter inch of thread bite on each TRE, for safety I like atleast 1 1/2 inches of bite. The V8 ZJ upgrade is a common one, and this might be enough to push me to buy it. Thanks for the post!

Banshee: I have no bumpsteer or DW at any speed. You can travel over a pot-holed highway at 60 mph and control this truck with 1 finger on the wheel. If you are referring to the drag link to track bar angle you may be overlooking that the aftermarket bent track bars only follow the "keep them parallel" rule for the first few inches prior to the bend. Look the the relationship of these two components at the body side mount location to check how close they are. It would be impossible to retain that relationship through the bend. Those "everybody know that..." rules are only worthwhile if you know the whole rule and the exceptions to it...and even then "conventional wisdom" is often BS. If there is some other reason that you think something is wrong please bring it to may attention as it may be something that I overlooked.

I had gotten an RC tie rod upgrade, and I was more than impressed with it, except for one aspect: It was a good few inches shorter than the stock tie rod, and for absolutely no reason. Lifting your vehicle doesn't bring the TREs together, why shorten the bar made specifically for XJ, MJ and TJ? There was about a quarter inch of thread bite on each TRE, for safety I like atleast 1 1/2 inches of bite. The V8 ZJ upgrade is a common one, and this might be enough to push me to buy it. Thanks for the post!

I had nearly pulled the stock driver's side TRE out of the stock sleeve when I bent it. I can't imagine the thinking behind shortening the assembly as RC did. I think you will find you have plenty of thread engagement should you go this route. :-)

Yeah, the minds over at RC didn't think that one out at all, there is no reason I can think of as to why they shortened it. I just got this tie rod in the mail, seems like a solid kit, thanks for telling us about it, but I noticed the bar side TRE (not the actual tre) didn't have a grease hole or nipple. How did you grease it?