Gauge Cluster Swap Question...

No. Speedo cables are not all the same, Jeep changed the design in either '87 or '88. Ideally, you need a cluster from a 1984 thru 1986 XJ or MJ -- 1987 will work if the cable attaches to the speedo head with a metal clip and a screw, not a white nylon push-on connector.

You can use the '88 - '90 style if you get the speedo cable along with the cluster.

If you get the older style cluster, it MUST be from a 6-cylinder vehicle. The older ones did not have a calibration potentiometer on the tachometer, so a 4-cylinder cluster will be WAY off on the tach reading. The '88 - '90 clusters had a potentiometer on the tach, so it could be set for 4-cyl or 6-cyl operation.

No. Speedo cables are not all the same, Jeep changed the design in either '87 or '88. Ideally, you need a cluster from a 1984 thru 1986 XJ or MJ -- 1987 will work if the cable attaches to the speedo head with a metal clip and a screw, not a white nylon push-on connector.

You can use the '88 - '90 style if you get the speedo cable along with the cluster.

If you get the older style cluster, it MUST be from a 6-cylinder vehicle. The older ones did not have a calibration potentiometer on the tachometer, so a 4-cylinder cluster will be WAY off on the tach reading. The '88 - '90 clusters had a potentiometer on the tach, so it could be set for 4-cyl or 6-cyl operation.

Do you think I would be better of just making a custom gauge cluster from after market parts? That sounds really confusing and hard to find as well

Do you think I would be better of just making a custom gauge cluster from after market parts?

Why would you want to do that when a factory cluster is just a junkyard (or a phone call) away?

I guess your right, junkyards around here tend to screw you for that, who would I call?

Or post a Wanted ad in the Clasified section.  Actually think I may have one in my parts collection.  Know several others have them also.

Would a full gauge cluster from a 87 work?