No Spark When Cranking

Thought I would get my 89 4L parts Comanche going after a long sitting spell.  After a new fuel pump it will only start [with luck] after releasing the key from start to run mode.  What is supposed to provide spark while cranking?  I assume there is relay of some sort which is not doing its part.

Yes I have.  I was checking spark at the coil and noticed no spark while cranking but after releasing the key to the run position there was a spark or two just before the engine stopped turning.  Then I realized I could start the thing if got my on off timing just right.  Isn't there some system that is supposed to provide higher voltage to the coil when in starting mode?

Yes I have.  I was checking spark at the coil and noticed no spark while cranking but after releasing the key to the run position there was a spark or two just before the engine stopped turning.  Then I realized I could start the thing if got my on off timing just right.  Isn't there some system that is supposed to provide higher voltage to the coil when in starting mode?

There's a system that gives higher voltage to the fuel pump is Start position.

You have the classic bad ignition switch problem.