Gauge Compatibility Question

I have a 1991 Comanche, with the basic gauge package (big speedo and fuel gauge, and warning lights for the rest).  It also has a column shifted automatic transmission, so the shift indicator is in the fuel gauge.  

I have a gauge cluster from an earlier Comanche with full instruments.  It has the blue plastic housing.

The gauges on both clusters have the blue/white letters (meaning they match in the way they look).

Can I take the oil pressure, volts, and temp gauges from the earlier cluster and use them in my later cluster, keeping my stock speedo and fuel gauge?  

I understand I may have to change sending units.

I have a 1991 Comanche, with the basic gauge package (big speedo and fuel gauge, and warning lights for the rest).  It also has a column shifted automatic transmission, so the shift indicator is in the fuel gauge.  

I have a gauge cluster from an earlier Comanche with full instruments.  It has the blue plastic housing.

The gauges on both clusters have the blue/white letters (meaning they match in the way they look).

Can I take the oil pressure, volts, and temp gauges from the earlier cluster and use them in my later cluster, keeping my stock speedo and fuel gauge?  

I understand I may have to change sending units.

The oil pressure, voltmeter, and coolant temperature gauges are common the both the Renix and HO clusters and can be interchanged between clusters with gauges. But since you have the 91 idiot light cluster w/o gauges, no, because you can't mount the gauges in place of the idiot lights (no mounting posts), and the printed foil circuit on the back of the cluster is also wrong for gauges.

In order to convert your cluster idiot lights to gauges, you need to swap in an HO cluster w. full gauges, then either transplant your shift indicator into the new tach, or use an aftermarket shift indicator on the column as I did.

Good info, thank you.  I do have a HO era full gauge cluster in the parts bin.  If I understand you correctly, I could use the housing, then add my original speedo, and the other gauges from the early cluster.  But then the rub would be my fuel gauge.  The HO full gauge printed circuit would be for a tach, not a large fuel gauge.... am I correct?

I guess another route would be to use the full cluster as is... is it possible to mount the factory shift indicator in the factory tach?  Perhaps by milling the appropriate opening into it?

Good info, thank you.  I do have a HO era full gauge cluster in the parts bin.  If I understand you correctly, I could use the housing, then add my original speedo, and the other gauges from the early cluster.  But then the rub would be my fuel gauge.  The HO full gauge printed circuit would be for a tach, not a large fuel gauge.... am I correct?

Correct

I guess another route would be to use the full cluster as is... is it possible to mount the factory shift indicator in the factory tach?  Perhaps by milling the appropriate opening into it?

Why not use an aftermarket PRNDL indicator, as Hornbrod suggested?