no hi-beams

this has been covered before I'm sure.

but I'm trying to sell my 87 sport. the hi-beams don't work, and I've put a different switch in it. still don't work, so either I have two bad switches (unlikely) or it has a bad relay or something.

both lights have working hi-beams, i've tested them on my other truck.

is there a relay? what could be the problem

headlight switch bad?

they worked at one point for a short time and then i clicked to lows and back and they wouldn't work again...

help!

There is no relay in the headlight circuit. The headlight switch incorporates a circuit breaker, and all the wiring carries full power.

Did you replace the dash switch, or the dimmer switch at the base of the steering column? Also, did you check the sockets at the headlights to see if you're getting power and perhaps the sockets aren't contacting the pins (spades) on the lights?

Alright, I've now replaced the hi-beam switch and tested it with my digi voltmeter...it works, hi beams don't. Replaced the actual headlight switch, didn't help. between stages I have been checking for power to the headlight connector. I have none to the hi-beams (white wire), and power to the lows. I even disassembled the connector. no change.

SO it's something with the wire...yay for crappy old wiring! I'm taking the harness apart at the firewall, cleaning the connectors, and putting it back together. if that doesn't work, the new owner will get it without hi-beams, as I also need to tighten up the torque converter, replace the bad section of floor, and replace the exhaust manifold (crack).

I want the truck done by sunday...I already replaced the front ujoints (today, was pretty easy) and put in new front brake pads

blah i hate projects, but for the money i will get back on the truck, it's worth the hassle.

tested more things with the noid light, pulled on a few connections, and it works ??? :nuts:

so that's fixed.

also fixed the hole in the floor, front ujoints, and the lose torque converter. last thing to do is remove and weld the exhaust manifold.

i'm hoping it (this is the sport truck) leaves by monday...a guy is interested in it at 1500 + 500 for the snow plow...