Egr Making Loud Noise

I've started on the c101 elimination, but I've got 4 wires that don't lead to the other side of the connector, and 1 that does, but has different color wires on each side. Is this correct? I figure the extra wires are for accessories I don't have.

Well, checked 3 times and all the connections are correct and soldered together. Went to start the engine, hoping for the best, expecting an engine fire. It starts up just fine, but it jumps to 2500 rpm, and slowly rises. I'm sure if I let it run it would redline itself eventually. I checked the TPS voltage to make sure it's adjusted properly, good to go. Any idea what it could be from that bundle of wires? 

Hmm, now I'm getting consistent no starts. I know it's not the harness, because I was getting non consistent no starts before the upgrade. It's a new CPS, but the first thing I noticed was the wires for the new CPS versus the old one were considerably smaller. I also tested the ac voltage of the new one and it's getting .4, I remember reading in your tips that .35 is a no start. It was a cps from rock auto, I guess I should have just gotten one from napa. Thoughts? 

I have now, made the hole bigger and advanced the timing. Its putting out .9 ac volts now, and i havent had a no start yet. What does advancing the timing benefit?

Teehee. Works well, doesn't it? Advance mod fools the ECU and it gives you more advanced ignition timing. I've never seen more than .8 output. What did you do?????

Start a bit quicker? 

Gotcha, and it did start up quicker. I used a 3/8 drill bit, but it had a flange on the end of it a bit larger than the body of the bit (concrete bit?). I'm not sure, but it's all I had in that size, and it made the hole a bit bigger than what your list calls for. Maybe that's why I've got a higher output. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about that poor camera work. It's my EGR valve making this noise. It works, I've tested it several times, but noisy as hell, when no gas is applied after it's been revving a bit. It happens constantly while driving, but almost impossible to recreate when recording as you can see in the video. Any ideas? The plunger in the EGR moves in and out slightly when making the noise, too. It only does it when idling. 

I know this thread is old and I'm late to the party, but my '88 XJ used to make that same noise.  I had no idea it was that stupid thing.  My dad and I heard it one day and thought we had a duck getting mauled under the hood.  Never could figure out where it was coming from.  Oh well, I don't have that crap in the XJ anymore lol.